Guilford Opens 2008 Campaign with 12th annual Gate City Soup Bowl

Leaves are falling, classes are in full swing, and adrenaline is rushing. This can only mean one thing: the stirring commencement of college football, and the subsequent preparation for Greensboro’s “Soup Bowl.”While Guilford vs. Greensboro College may not exactly be Ohio State and Michigan University, this cross-town game has become a yearly tradition. Despite being only the 12th annual Soup Bowl, this rivalry extends well beyond the realm of football.

“Even if two guys from Guilford and Greensboro were playing Tiddlywinks, (the contest) would be intense,” says head coach Kevin Kiesel.

The match-up is dubbed the “Gate City Soup Bowl” due to the competitive canned food drive between the two campuses. Cans are collected in on-campus buildings for a week leading up to the game, and in the entrance of Armfield Athletic Center on game night.

Guilford has high expectations for the upcoming season, rooted strongly in senior leadership. Kiesel feels confident about his captains, and said “they understand what it takes to go from contenders to champions.” In 2008, tight end Pete Bobak enters his final season donning the crimson and grey. “This year, I’ve noticed the importance of senior leadership and expect it to make a tremendous difference,” says Bobak.

Bobak and his teammates may be wearing crimson and gold on Saturday night, but Guilford’s fan section will be wearing black. The “black out” will be the first at a Guilford football game.

There will be many firsts in the upcoming bowl game, the 2008 season marks the first year that the Gate City rivals open the season against each other. Traditionally the game is played midseason allowing both teams to adequately prepare for the annual battle.

“The game is all about mental preparedness and playing hard for 60 minutes,” says Kiesel.

Senior quarterback Josh Vogelbach is hopeful about the upcoming game. “The intensity and adrenaline surrounding the rivalry is good coming out the gate,” said Vogelbach. “They lost a lot (of players) from last year and we feel confident about bringing home a victory for the Quakers.”

As of late, Guilford has enjoyed success in the Soup Bowl. The Quakers have won three in a row and lead the all time series 6-5. Seniors are 3-0 against Greensboro behind the stellar play of Vogelbach.

Vogelbach, who is only 2,702 yards shy of becoming Division III’s all time leading passer, shared his thoughts on the teams’ emotions leading up to Saturday’s game. Vogelbach expects the energy from the rivalry to impact the game and to translate into on-field success.

Guilford’s goal is to prepare and win one game at a time, and Vogelbach thinks this year’s squad has what it takes. “Good chemistry, key returners, and talented freshmen will help the team achieve our season motto of 1-0,” Vogelbach said.

The 12th Annual Soup Bowl takes place on Saturday Sept. 6, at 7 p.m. Come out and support the Quakers as they attempt to defeat Greensboro both on and off the field.

The fans, who are considered to be the 12th man, are important in the rivalry. “(The Soup Bowl) is always a backyard brawl that comes down to whoever has the ball last,” said Kiesel. Come Saturday, wear black, bring a can of food, and we’ll see you at Armfield.