There’s a new sheriff in town

New Sheriff Adam Pearman (Sarah Thebault)

Senior Adam Pearman was elected Sheriff of Guilford during the student elections on March 31. Elected on five write-in votes, Pearman ran and won an office that never before existed and set a precedent for the future of Senate. As Sheriff, Pearman hopes to provide his peers with a highly visible advocate that will work with students and Campus Life to resolve issues, whether personal or community-wide.

President-elect Joe Pelcher said that the office of sheriff is “a fun title for a very important job,” stressing that there needs to be a more communication between Campus Life, Public Safety, and students.

“I think this student body needs a more open dialogue, I mean, Public Safety shouldn’t be feared,” Pearman said.

As to how he came up with the idea, Pearman said, “I was watching a lot of Gunsmoke (over spring break) and I was in the woods in Georgia, just thinking about how in old westerns the sheriff is all about solving the community’s problems.” Inspired, he had his picture taken with a shotgun posing as a sheriff, and began putting up fliers as a joke when he got back to campus.

People took notice. Soon, people were asking him if he really was running, and seeing how interested students were, he realized the opportunity he had. Taking the initiative, he began talking to the Community Senate about the possibility of the new office and convinced five people to write him in on Election Day.

A proponent of restorative justice, Pearman wants students to realize they don’t have to just pay fines; they can instead help out in the community as restitution.

“If you’re caught smoking weed (and do) community service with maintenance or whoever, you’re going to get a real sense of your community and how your actions impact it (rather) than if you just pay the college some money,” Pearman said.

As this semester is nearly over, Pearman hopes that the office of sheriff will remain alive after he graduates next fall.

“This is all really for next year,” Pearman said. “I just want to get the word out (and) let people know they have someone to help them.”

Pelcher said that while he has no set plans for the new sheriff, “there are a lot of people who are excited about opening up this dialogue, and I’d like to see where that goes.