Osama Bin Laden’s Message to the US

As Americans remembered the six-year anniversary of the horrific attacks on Sept. 11, Osama Bin Laden released his first video message in three years.

Analysts of the tapes noticed first that the terrorist donned a groomed, black-dyed beard noticeably different from the unkempt gray beard he had often been photographed with. Bin Laden continues to exude a confidence in his tone and though it has been many years since al-Qaeda’s attacks on 9/11, his voice still expels a wicked power, a passion in him that placed a fear in Americans who remember that fateful morning.

The content of Osama’s message closely resembles that of left-wing activists here in the United States. His primary source for this message was Adam Gadahn, a 28-year-old radical from California. He first associated himself with terrorist organizations in 1998 and in 2004 the US, identified him as one of seven al-Qaeda members planning attacks in the United States.

Aspects of American policy can be considered flawed, but it is disheartening that one could be so displeased with our country that he resorted to assisting terrorists in destroying our land and the security of our people. Gadahn, also identified as “Azzam the American,” is justly the first American charged with treason since 1952.

Bin Laden makes references to recent occurrences around the world, which has helped investigators conclude that the tape was created as recent as four weeks ago.

“Every time he releases tapes he lays himself open to detection,” said Peter Bergen, a U.S. journalist who had interviewed Bin Laden, to the Telegraph, a British newspaper. Bin Laden does not seem to mind the threat of detection. As I watched his message via You Tube, it was obvious that I fear him more than he fears me, or even U.S. retaliation.

I used to believe that if America would disassociate from the Middle East we would have nothing to fear, but Bin Laden proposes that peace can only be established upon everyone’s conversion to Islam. Mohamed el-Sayed, of the Ahram Centre for Political and Strategic Studies in Cairo, said to the Telegraph, “Bin Laden’s words are proof the West cannot appease al-Qaeda by withdrawing from Iraq.”

Bin Laden makes no direct threats in this message, but based on the content of his message, al-Qaeda’s power will still be used for targets that will produce mass casualties, overwhelming destruction, and considerable economic consequences.

It seems preposterous to desire one religion for many cultures amidst a vast world. However al-Qaeda’s goals continue towards the advancement of Islamic revolutions throughout the world, and repelling foreign intervention in the Middle East.
“In the Middle East, their religion permeates everything that they do,” said Alicia Miles, a junior and Philosophy and East Asian studies major at Guilford College. She helps to rationalize why al-Qaeda’s revolutions are surrounded by Islam. “Americans are opposite, instead of religion dictating our lifestyles, we often let our lifestyles determine how and when we will practice our religion.”

This lack of understanding, – between US culture, religious practices, and customs in the Middle East – continues to create a significant gap leaving hopes for peace a distant dream