What do you Want From Sports?

So we’ve all heard about the athlete, non-athlete divide at Guilford and although there’s been a great deal of effort, no one has found the solution. Well, now it’s your turn to contribute. As both Sports Editor and a representative for the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), I’ve made it my goal this year to – at least start to – break down the wall and bridge the gap between athletes and non-athletes. But as clich as it may sound, I can’t do it without your help.

I don’t believe that the sports section should be just about varsity sports on campus, or even just varsity and intramural sports for that matter. To me, sports are a way of life, from fitness and exercise, to eating healthy and simply being active. This can mean running daily, doing yoga, going fishing, canoeing, climbing, changing your diet or any activity meant to keep you healthy.

So I ask you all, what do you want from your sports section? Reviews of local gyms? Work out routines? Diet tips? Good fishing spots? Or do you want to see a wider variety of intramural sports? Whatever it is that you want, there’s no way that we can work to give it to you unless we know what it is that you desire. And this goes for SAAC as well; what do you want from your student athletes? How do you want to see your athletic teams involved on campus and in the community?

I can’t stress enough here, we need your input! It’s easy to identify a problem and it’s even easier to complain; but it takes courage to put differences aside and work for a solution. So live up to our reputation at Guilford; get involved, take action and don’t settle for being just another small college with a rift between its athletes and non-athletes.

It’s going to be hard, but nothing valuable comes without a fight. So help us out; tell us what you think and email your suggestions to me at [email protected], or SAAC President Kelly Gonzalez at [email protected].

So take these words from Albert Einstein, “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity” and think about how we can fix this problem together.