Biohazard closes a so-so 2007 season

Guilford’s ultimate Frisbee team, Biohazard, wrapped up what has been a fun, if disappointing, end of the season. “We had a (bloody) good team in the fall,” said junior co-captain Daniel Katzman. “But a lot of things happened this semester – cold weather, more people with inconsistent turn-out. We didn’t live up to our potential.”

Turnout in recent weeks has been especially low with unpredictable weather, heavy workloads and other on-campus activities pulling many away. But those who have been showing up are still having a good time.

“What I like about Frisbee is that you can make it what you want it to be,” said junior Mary Juravich. “If you want to just go out and have fun you can. If you want to be super intense and learn all about the game, there is space for that, too.”

Mixed motivation has caused some friction.

“The truth is that it is a source of conflict on the team – some people wish it was more competitive, some wish it was less so,” Juravich said. “I think we’re kind of in the middle of being a ‘pick-up’ league and a competitive team.”

The sectionals tournament that was held at UNC-Wilmington the weekend of April 14 was the last tournament in Biohazard’s season. The tournament was a disappointment for the team with zero Guilford wins.

“Its hard to know if the emphasis should be on winning or fun,” said junior co-captain Katherine Rossini. “It can be frustrating to be on the field when no one wants to score; I’d like the team to be competitive but I know not everyone does.”

The team has had trouble finding a new home this year after being relocated from New Garden field by the college. They have been playing where they can find the space and where the college will allow them including the rugby pitch, lacrosse fields and any other temporarily unused athletic space.

“They don’t think we look good on New Garden Field,” Katzman said. “Varsity sports get priority on the fields, so they put us where they can fit us.”

On a lighter note, Biohazard has attracted several first-years this year, many of whom plan to continue playing next year.

“(Biohazard) is a lot better then my high school team was,” said first-year Aaron Woerner. “I’ve learned enormous amounts about the game from playing with (them). It’s a whole other level of experience. I’ll definitely come out again next year.”

The Biohazard Ultimate Frisbee Club will be recruiting again in the fall. To learn more contact:

[email protected]

[email protected]