‘Stories of Childhood’ film series a success

Sisters in Law, one of the films being shown. (wmm.com)
‘Sisters in Law,’ one of the films being shown. (wmm.com)

“Eighty, 80, 70, 80, 100,” said Associate Professor of German and Director of International Studies David Limburg as he reported the attendance for the first five films of the “Stories of Childhood” film series. “They’re all supposed to be really good,” he added, anticipating the remaining three. The series is made up of 11 films from 11 different countries including Morocco, Guatemala, China and Spain. Nine languages are spoken in the 11 films. Limburg organized the series with the help of several other international studies faculty members.

“They were all chosen from different international studies faculty. Each one of them that chose the film will present it and give a little introduction and then lead a discussion afterwards. That’s been working really well,” said Limburg.

The theme of childhood was developed from a dialogue within the foreign language department.

“I put out a message to all international studies faculty and just asked ‘what’s a good theme?’ back in the fall. We got a lot of suggestions. One person suggested it, and others presented different aspects of the idea,” said Limburg.

Limburg believes that the large and diverse attendance of the series is healthy for the Guilford community.

“It’s been a good mix of on-campus students and people who live off of campus.

‘The Silence of Neto’ was a full house; it was 100 or more. We just enjoy getting people from off-campus together with people from on-campus in watching these films and then discussing them afterwards,” said Limburg.

Senior Rebecca Nau was intrigued by the series’ third film, “Rabbit-Proof Fence.” The film takes place in 1931 Australia and focuses on the government’s attempt to integrate aboriginal children into white society.

“It was an issue that I didn’t know anything about. I knew about the aborigines. I knew about the British colonizing Australia, but I never heard about these problems,” said Nau. “Clearly there always are issues during colonization, but seeing this film really brought them to my attention. It certainly was not as publicized as other issues.”

Nau was also inspired from her experience to continue attending the “Stories of Childhood” series.

“Because I enjoyed it and was really educated from it, I really would like to go see other movies in the series. I’d like to get the same thing I did from seeing ‘Rabbit-Proof Fence.'”

Dave Limburg also wants to continue the streak of having foreign films at Guilford.

“I want Guilford to build on the reputation of being a place to see foreign films,