Women’s lacrosse

After a disappointing finish to last year’s season, the Guilford women’s lacrosse team looks to improve this year with a more balanced effort.Despite having the third-best offensive team in the conference, at 11.62 goals a game, the Lady Quakers finished the 2006 season with a 5-11 (3-5) record, good for sixth in the ODAC.

“[We] hope to really be able to get closer to a .500 season. We can definitely beat a lot of these teams as long as we play the way we know how to play,” said Carrie Ernst, first year attacker.

According to senior captain Caryn Stone, Coach Grosso has brought in some new plays and ideas that the team hopes will aid them in having a successful season.

“We’re running some new plays this year both on offense and defense that I think if we finesse them all, we’ll really give teams a run for their money,” said Ernst.

With a small team of 15 girls, when an average collegiate team has over 25 players on a roster, they will have plenty of playing time to practice their new plays.

The team lost a few players to injury, academia, and travel; however, the women have not lost faith in themselves nor the team.

“The team looks better than it did last year. Although we are low in numbers we have good players and it looks good,” said Stone. “Best team we’ve had since I’ve been here.”

It takes more then just practice and trick plays, however, team chemistry is a major part of what separates the winners from the losers.

“You can see how at first it wasn’t there, but now we are working as a team. Everybody kind of finally knows each other and knows how each other plays,” Gonzalez said.

The Lady Quakers will soon be putting their new plays and camaraderie to the test. Their season-opening home game is coming up on Feb. 27 at 4 p.m. against Lynchburg College.

“We’re playing with grown women,” Ernst said. “It’s kind of scary. It’ll be a little intimidating.”

With their undermanned team, the Lady Quakers are going to have to approach the season with the same attitude as Gonzalez has.

“I [want to] help the team in whatever way I can. Scoring goals are not as important to me as much as assisting and being helpful at the time,” Stone said.

Ernst said, “I just want to play my hardest, help my teammates as much as I can, doing whatever I can. And, of course, score a couple goals here and there.