Public Safety hunts for mustang marauders

Students driving Ford Mustangs may want to invest in spare tires. Last semester there were several reports of slashed tires on student and faculty vehicles. The windows were broken, and items were stolen from inside.

Reports show that only Ford Mustangs and Public Safety cars were targeted. No one sex has been targeted exclusively. There is no particular Guilford parking lot that has been targeted more than others.

Public Safety cars had the windshields broken and were also the victims of tire slashing. Even Guilford President Kent Chabotar’s car was vandalized and slashed.

On one occasion last semester, five cars were slashed and robbed on the same day. Public Safety has not concluded whether or not these incidents are connected.

“It feels like an invasion of privacy,” said first-year Ryan Davis. “I also thought I could trust that if I park my car on campus, when I went back to my car it would be in the same condition as I left it.”

The wave of wreckage continued last semester when, on numerous occasions, a brick was thrown through the window of the Public Safety Office.

There have been tire slashings on other college campuses, including NC A&T, UNCG, Greensboro College, and Bennet College. However, Public Safety does not think vandalism is connected between campuses.

Some students who have had their property damaged filed police reports.

These reports have encouraged students to be more careful with their cars. “I always lock my car now,” said sophomore Katie Yow. “I try not to leave anything of value, like my CDs, in my car either.”

Public Safety suggests students do just as Yow has done. “Students should lock their doors, close windows and remove anything of value from sight,” said Keifer Bradshaw, Guilford Security Coordinator.

Despite the narrow selection of cars that were vandalized, Public Safety still has no idea what motivated for these crimes, but it is doubted that these acts were committed by a group of people.

Public Safety laments that there isn’t much students can do to protect their cars, besides the obvious locking doors.

“Be very, very cautious of peers,” said Bradshaw. “You have to be your own eyes and ears. Be informant if someone has vendettas against you.