Powell offers resignation; position to be filled by Rice

Secretary of State Colin Powell will not be part of Bush´s second administration  (www.corriere.it)
Secretary of State Colin Powell will not be part of Bush´s second administration (www.corriere.it)

Secretary of State Colin Powell presented his letter of resignation to the President on Nov. 12, wishing to “return to private life,” according to the BBC. Born in the Bronx to Jamaican parents, Powell served two tours of duty in Vietnam, served as National Security Advisor to President Reagan, led U.S. forces to victory in Iraq in 1991, was knighted in 1993, appointed chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and became the first African-American Secretary of State in 2001. He spent 35 years as a soldier, and stood as a voice against President George W. Bush’s foreign policies for four years.

The BBC reports that Powell told President Bush that “it has always been my intention to serve only one term.” Yet CNN reports that one senior Bush official said Powell was “not asked to stay.” Powell had maintained for months that he served at the pleasure of the president, and that he might stay if asked.

Powell was well respected as a statesman within the White House, despite his dissident voice, according to CNN. He believed that a country should go to war only when there is a clear exit strategy and a clear national interest. He also advocated using overwhelming force, but only with success assured. His foreign policy has become known as the Powell Doctrine.

His resignation is one of many in the aftermath of the election. The Secretaries of Commerce, Education, Energy, and Agriculture have resigned, as well as Attorney General John Ashcroft.

After some speculation, current National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice was named to replace Powell after President Bush’s inauguration on Jan. 20. Rice is said to share many of Bush’s views on foreign policy.

Rice holds a doctorate in international studies, and is an expert on Russia. She has been a long-time Bush confidante and is one of his staunchest supporters. She also has diverse interests, having been a competitive figure skater in high school and a classical pianist who played with celebrated cellist Yo-Yo Ma in 2002. Rice has also remarked to reporters that she aspires to be the commissioner of the National Football League.

Rice will be the first African-American woman appointed as secretary of state. Powell was the first African-American secretary of state.

Rice’s deputy secretary, Stephen Hadley, will replace Rice as National Security Advisor.

Powell will remain in office until the President’s inauguration. He is scheduled to travel to Egypt, to meet with the foreign minister of the Palestinian Authority in the wake of Yasser Arafat’s death.

According to Newsweek, he is expected to join the lecture circuit, where his international popularity will be of particular use to him. Powell spoke to Guilford students in 1999, as part of the Bryan Speaker series.