Republicans hold national convention

Republican supporters mingle at the GOP national convention in New York ()

The Republican Party kicked off its national convention Aug. 30 at New York City’s Madison Square Garden with speeches from Senator John McCain (R – Ariz.) and Rudy Giuliani, former mayor of New York City. The convention, which lasted through Sept. 2, was a time for the Republican Party to solidify its political platform, and for President George W. Bush to lay out his agenda for a potential second term.
Bush was supported by an all-star cast of important GOP members. In addition to First Lady Laura Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenneger and Senator Zell Miller (D – Ga.) were expected to deliver the most important speeches.
Miller’s appearance at the RNC was perhaps the most unusual of any of the speakers. A lifelong Democrat, he was a keynote speaker at the 1992 Democratic National Convention that nominated former President Bill Clinton. Miller claimed support of Bush in late 2003.
Other speakers included New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Senator Elizabeth Dole (R – N.C.), Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, and syndicated talk show host Michael Reagan, the son of the late former President Ronald Reagan. Musical artists such as Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, and a host of country musicians will perform in Madison Square Garden throughout the week.
The chief political issues addressed by RNC speakers included the war in Iraq, the economy, health care, and, above all, the war on terrorism. Speakers were also expected to focus on the events and aftermath of Sept. 11, but to shy away from more controversial social issues like abortion and gay marriage.
RNC protests also took place outside Madison Square Garden and throughout the city. A group of students from the college, most affiliated with GANe (the Guilford Action Network) traveled to join the protests. Senior Liz Nemitz, a member of GANe, said that by protesting, she and her peers were attempting to attract attention to what they consider the failures of the Bush administration.
Another protester and member of GANe, senior Jonathan Henderson, is critical both of Bush and the Republican Party, and of the Democrats.
“(By protesting, I hope to) voice dissent of corporate sponsorship of the two-party democracy,” Henderson said.
Protest organizers claimed that a march Aug. 29 drew more than 400,000 people. The New York Police Department has reported that over 200 people have been arrested. Most of those arrested were cyclists arrested during a “Critical Mass” bike ride protest Aug. 28.
Here on campus, there are varied opinions about the RNC and the protests.
“I just hope (the Republicans) don’t feel deterred (by the protesters),” first-year Alana Hoare, a Bush supporter, said. Hoare disagreed with the protesters, saying it is important for people “to be respectful of others’ opinions.”
She also said that she expected Bush to “make an attempt to fix his mistakes.”
Sophomore Adam Waxman, president of the campus chapter of College Democrats, did not have high expectations for the RNC.
“I don’t think this convention will have a big overall impact on the election,” Waxman said. “The parties use their conventions to solidify their base before the fall election campaign, when most voters are paying attention.
“However, the dynamics of this race are different. Both Bush and Kerry’s bases are solidified, and voters are more interested in this election than they have been in the past,” Waxman said.
First-year Shara Tipton, a registered Independent, doesn’t think her opinion will be swayed by this convention. “I’m not expecting to hear anything new (about the Republican Party),” she said.zThis article is part of a weekly series about the upcoming presidential election.

This article went to press before the conclusion of the Republican National Convention. Look for continuing coverage of the RNC in the Sept. 10 issue of The Guilfordian.