Collier named ODAC pitcher of the week

Logan Collier ()
Logan Collier ()

Logan Collier, a 6’7″ first-year was awarded the ODAC Pitcher of the Week for the week of March 22.
In addition to this recent award, which he says he earned for pitching only two games that week, Collier also takes 17 credits. He has two JPS classes and classes in English and psychology. He lives in English Hall which helps with his study habits.
“I like it because it’s quiet,” he said.
Collier is from nearby Rural Hall, just outside of Winston-Salem. He lived there with his mother, father, and two sisters, both of which are in high school. Both of his sisters are athletic as well. The elder plays volleyball and softball, and his youngest sister is a dancer.
Although Collier is from close by, he did not consider Guilford at first.
“I’d never even heard of Guilford until the college called me,” Collier said. He looked at area colleges during his senior year, but settled on Guilford because he was told he could definitely play baseball here.
“It takes some getting used to … I’m not used to being away from home,” Collier said.
He arrived at Guilford for the Project: HOME Avanti and settled down in English with a senior roommate who, he claims, stayed three nights the whole semester.
Collier thinks he’ll doublemajor in psychology and justice and policy studies. He plans to be a North Carolina game warden, perhaps after spending some time in the police force.
In addition to playing baseball, Collier’s other favorite pastime is hunting.
“I’ve been hunting with my dad ever since I can remember,” he said. “I shot my first squirrel at four-and-a-half and my first deer a few years later.”
“I do a lot of watching,” he said. “One time, I had 11 deer under my stand, and I just watched them.”
He enjoys hunting because of the challenge. “You feel like you’ve outsmarted nature; I’m sitting, looking at an animal that doesn’t even know I’m there.”
Collier said that his greatest strength in hunting is his ability to study his quarry. “I just sit there and watch, and I study them, see what they do.”
He’s recently had some difficulty with pitching which perhaps could be alleviated by his hunting habits. “I’m just struggling to hit my spots. Maybe I need to start studying the batters.