Guilford alum speaks on bioethics

Guilford Alumnus James  (www.alumni.virginia.edu)
Guilford Alumnus James (www.alumni.virginia.edu)

very day some families must face hard decisions, such as whether or not to take a loved one off the respirator. After their loved ones die, more difficult dilemmas are faced, such as to whom the organs should go. Bioethics are moral dilemmas facing all scientists including genetics, medicine and biotechnology workers.
On March 15, Guilford alum James F. Childress delivered a lecture in Founders Gallery entitled, “Bioethics: 21st Century choices.”
“Bioethics are hot right now,” Childress said.
Childress traced the birth of bioethics to a 1962 article in Time Magazine about who should receive dialysis machines in Oregon, then focused on controversies behind the ethics of cloning and stem cell research.
The “Cloning Age” began in 1997 with the birth of Dolly, a sheep. Since then cloning has caused much speculation as to future uses and has comeunder much scrutiny. Cloning could be used as a way for infertile couples to have a child and also for biomedical research. Cloning is still notunderstood. Dolly the sheep suffered from severe obesity and had to be euthanized. The House of Representatives has passed a bill that would ban cloning used as a procedure to produce children for infertile couples.
Meanwhile, South Korea has announced that its scientists have cloned a human embryo.
In the late ’90s, a study located and isolated stem cells, which opened unlimited opportunities for research. Stem cells show great promise for uses such as re-growing muscle tissue and could offer treatment for patients who suffer from ailments such as heart disease, Parkinson’s disease, Type 1 diabetes and spinal cord injuries.
One technique involves taking stem cells from human embryos. This has caused a lot of controversy in the scientific community. Some feel that human embryos shouldn’t be bought and sold.
Childress also provided several religious views on stem cell cultivation.
Pope John Paul II told President Bush in a meeting that he condemned stem cell research on human embryos. In Judaism and Islam, on the other hand, the view is radically different: “research done in rescuing human life is justification enough.” Childress said.
Childress’ presentation was peppered with political cartoons and sharp wit.
“He was a very eloquent speaker. His points were well made and well laid out. He used humor very well to keep and to drive home the points he was making,” first year Tristan Wilson said.
“He did a really nice job, a broad overview and a foundation of Bioethics, and did so objectively,” Quaker Lisa Fields said.
Childress graduated from Guilford in 1963 and played on the same baseball team as Guilford mathematics professor Elwood Parker. Childress teaches at the University of Virginia.
This lecture was the first in a six-week series about ethics. For more details on the Ethics Lecture Series, contact Max Carter at extension 2445 or at [email protected]. See sidebar for dates, topics, and speakers.

Ethics Lecture Series:
Dates, Topics, and Speakers:

March 15 – “Bioethics,” presented by James Childress, a professor of ethics at the University of Virginia and a 1962 graduate of the college.
March 23 – “Ethics and Ministry,” presented by Judy Haughee-Bartlett and Wally Sills, chaplains at High Point Regional Hospital and recorded ministers in the North Carolina Yearly Meeting of Friends.
March 30 – “Political Ethics,” presented by Greensboro Mayor Keith Holliday and Jeff Thigpen, a Guilford County commissioner and assistant director of admission at Guilford. Holliday is a 1975 graduate of the college and Thigpen, a 1993 graduate.
April 6 – “Ethics and the Legal Profession,” presented by Superior Court Judge Catherine Eagles and Bill Eagles, an attorney in practice with Hunter, Higgins, Miles, Elam and Benjamin.
April 13 – “Ethics and Sports,” presented by Herb Appenzeller, Jefferson Pilot professor of sport studies, emeritus, at Guilford.
April 20 – Business Ethics, presented by Alice Stewart, Jefferson Pilot professor of business management at Guilford, and Betty Kane, assistant professor of management.