Guilford Scores & National Sports Briefs

Guilford ScoresMen’s Basketball
(15-10, 11-7 ODAC)

Feb. 17 Lost to Emory & Henry 106-95

Leaders: C. Martin 21 pts, 1 reb, D. Clyburn 8 pts, 3 rebs, J. Connor 5 Pts, 5 rebs, J. Clarke 3 pts, 8 rebs, T. Swindell 13 pts, 3 rebs, J. Taylor 1 reb, R. Spence 7 pts, 1 reb, G. Lawhorn 17 pts, 4 rebs, E. Williams 12 pts, 2 rebs, R. Bradford 9 pts, 1 reb.

Women’s Basketball
(15-8, 13-6 ODAC)

Feb. 17 Beat Emory & Henry 60-57

Leaders: Robertson 16 pts, 5 rebs, J. Hardenbergh 8 pts, 4 rebs, J. Keichline 10 pts, 7 rebs, D. Burke 2 pts, 10 rebs, N. McCrory 6 pts, 7 rebs, L. Johnson 2 pts, 4 rebs, J. King 16 pts, K. Casey 1 reb.

Men’s Lacrosse
(1-0, 0-0 ODAC)

Feb. 20 Beat Manhattanville 13-10

Leaders: Goals: M. Wagner 5, J. Miller 4, C. Hill 2, B. Borchard 1, E. Massello 1.
Assists: W. Hill 3, J. Miller 3, C. Hill 2, M. Wagner 2, B. Borchard 1. Saves: A. Skiles 13

National Sports Briefs

THOMASVILLE, GA

A former University of Georgia guidance counselor has been charged with forgery for trying to hire a student to take the SAT for a basketball player who failed to get into the university.
The man, Ernest Shanks, Jr., was arrested at his home in Thomasville Feb. 18 and charged with first-degree forgery, a felony.
The basketball player, Alexander Johnson, was a star at Dougherty High School, but failed to pass the SAT.
If there is any link between the attempted forgery and the wrongdoing of Jim Harrick and Jim Harrick, Jr., it will impact the ongoing investigation of the former Georgia basketball coaches.
The 6-10 Johnson is now a freshman at Florida State and is their second-leading scorer.

ORLANDO, FL

Shaquille O’Neal is being sued by a promotions company in Tampa for allegedly backing out on an agreement to participate in charity events.
Paramount Celebrity Management filed the suit for $5.6 million Feb. 20.
Messages left for O’Neal’s representatives have not been returned. The Lakers do not deal with player problems off the court, but hand the duty to the player reps.
This is the second time in a month that O’Neal has been sued. A Harley-Davidson shop in Daytona Beach says Shaq did not pay for a custom-made bike.

JUPITER, FL

The St. Louis Cardinals have agreed to terms with Albert Pujols on a contract that could be good through the 2011 season.
The deal is worth $100 million over the next seven seasons, and includes an $11 million option for 2011.
Last season, getting paid $950,000, the 24-year-old star hit .359 with 43 home runs and 124 RBI.
Since his arrival in 2001, Pujols has put up monster numbers. He is the only player in major league history to hit .300 or better with 30 home runs, 100 RBI, and 100 runs scored in each of his first three seasons.
Pujols will play first base this season, taking over for Tino Martinez who was traded to Tampa Bay.