News Briefs

Violent Fires on Rampage
SAN BERNARDINO, California – The Santa Ana winds achieved a new level of power last Sunday and drove two vicious firestorms to the suburbs of San Bernardino, forcing thousands to flee. At least 2,400 homes have been destroyed and 20 people killed.Eminem Court Case Dropped
DETROIT, Michigan – Rap superstar Eminem was in court again this past week, in a case filed by Deangelo Bailey. In the song “Brain Damage,” Eminem said Bailey had harassed him daily in school. Bailey filed for charges of slander. Judge Deborah Servitto dismissed the case, stating in a rap she made up that Eminem had committed no crime.

Russia’s Richest Man Arrested
MOSCOW, Russia – Oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky, Russia’s richest man, was arrested last week by Special Forces. The billionaire president of Yukos, Russia’s largest oil company, was detained from his private jet in Siberia and brought to Moscow where he was ordered jail time on charges of fraud, forgery and embezzlement. Many political figures believe Khodorkovsky’s detainment is intenteded to keep him out of politics, as there is a lack of evidence supporting the government’s case against him.

Protesters Storm Nation’s Capital
WASHINGTON, DC – Thousands of anti-war protesters stormed the nation’s capital last Saturday proclaiming opposition to Bush’s presidency and the U.S. occupation in Iraq. The diverse crowd consisted of young people, old people, war veterans, American Muslims, and people in the armed forces.

New Evidence Found In Pearl Case
WASHINGTON, DC – Authorities investigating the mysterious death of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in Pakistan believe he was murdered by Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the supposed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks. A video tape was discovered showing Pearl’s gruesome murder, but who the murderers in the tape are is unclear. Mohammed is being interrogated, but there is insufficient evidence linking him to Pearl’s murder.

Violent Video Game Lawsuit
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee – A $246 million dollar lawsuit has been filed by parents against game designers Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive Software, video game marketers Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc., and Wal-Mart for the creation and distribution of the “Grand Theft Auto” video game series. Two stepbrothers from Newport, who were arrested after going on a hit-and-run killing spree, told authorities they were inspired by “Grand Theft Auto III” and its graphic depiction of random murder. The influence of the video game is now being linked to other murders around the country.