Highly developed drug tunnel discovered in Arizona

Joaquin Guzmán Loera (Courtesy of http://www.pbs.org)

Reid Copeland
Staff Writer
Over the years, the United States borders have seen increased security in attempts to keep out narcotics smuggling. As the borders get tighter, foreign drug lords are constantly devising new ways to smuggle drugs into the States.
During the second week of September, one of the most complex drug smuggling rings was discovered. It was connected to the notorious Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin Guzm n Loera.
Guzm n Loera is one of the most feared and sought-after Mexican drug kingpins. He is known to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration for his use of underground tunnels as a means of smuggling, like the one that was recently discovered.
In 2001, he escaped from a maximum-security prison in Guadalajara, Mexico. His current whereabouts are unknown, but it is certain that he is fully established and producing massive amounts of cocaine.
Guilford College has had over 20 drug-related incidents so far this year, and that number would not be so high if it were not for people like Guzm n Loera and their intricate drug smuggling schemes, such as this drug tunnel.
The Guzm n Loera tunnel stretches under the border, from a poor border town in Sonora to the clean-cut, well-groomed suburban town of Nogales, Arizona. The tunnel is thirteen feet deep, nine hundred and eighty-five feet long and is the best-equipped drug tunnel ever discovered. It contains rails and rail cars believed to have shipped tons of cocaine and marijuana. Guzm n Loera has been linked to a similar, but not as advanced, tunnel discovered in 1990.
Six men have been charged with working with Guzm n Loera’s cartel. Among these men are the chief commander of the Mexican Federal Investigation Agency in Hermosillo, Mexico, several low-life drug smugglers, and a former officer for the Federal Justice Police.
Armando Aguirre Cardona, the man who once worked for the Federal Justice Police, is believed to have worked with Guzm n Loera long before the agency was disbanded for corruption in its ranks in the mid-90s.
American Drug Czar Barry McCaffery and other DEA officials are optimistic, as the seizure of this tunnel and the men involved puts a significant strain on Guzm n Loera and his cartel. Since the investigation is yet to be completed, the DEA has not released any detailed information regarding the tunnel, Guzm n Loera, or his men that have been arrested.
The DEA will release more information as the investigation continues.