Doss Attempts Bryan Hall Putsch

()
()

Der FreiheitsverteidigerVice President for Enrollment and Campus Life Randy Doss unsuccessfully tried to take over the school last Monday when he and a group of armed storm troopers entered Bryan Auditorium, jumped onto a table, fired two shots into the air, and told the audience that “the long-awaited Guilford Putsch has begun! This is the Revolution!”
Doss then took other Guilford administrators into a back office, where he told them he was now the leader of Guilford, and offered them posts in his new government.The three administrators present, Associate Academic Dean Jim Hood, Vice President for Institutional Advancement Charlie Patterson, and Dean of CCE Bill Stevens, were initially reluctant to agree to the offer, a source in the administration says.
However, Doss was furious and threatened to shoot them and then commit suicide.
“I have three bullets for you, gentlemen, and one for me!” Doss exclaimed.
The three men then agreed.
Chief Financial Officer Phil Manz arrived soon thereafter. Manz has made statements in the past that indicate he sympathized strongly with Doss’ claims that the recent decline of the college is due to communists, socialists, anarchists, fascists, terrorists, bureaucrats, and bolsheviks.
Manz agreed to become head of the Guilford Army in Doss’ regime.
While Doss was appointing college administrators, Marion Kerby, Director of Athletics and leader of a group of storm troopers, seized Founders Hall.
Reports that the combatants then arrested known leftists Max Carter and Jerry Goddard could not be confirmed by press time.
Doss had planned to march from Founders to New Garden and seize control of the college, but surprisingly had not arranged for storm troopers to take control of Hege Library, where Academic Dean Adrienne Israel soon got word of the uprising and called the Greensboro Police Department.
The storm troopers found the road blocked at Quakerplatz, where several GPD officers had assembled.
The two sides engaged in gunfire when Doss, according to eyewitnesses, threw himself to the ground, dislocating his shoulder. He then ran to a nearby car.
Although the Greensboro Police were outnumbered, the storm troopers followed their leader’s example and ran away.
Supporters off Doss say he left the scene so quickly because he had to rush an injured young boy to the local hospital.
After hiding in an abandoned classroom in King, Doss was arrested Wednesday and is now awaiting trial before the Judicial Board, said to be largely sympathetic to his cause.
Doss said he is writing his account of the fight while in prison, tentatively titled “My Struggle.”