Your Tummy Will Thank You, So Will Your Date

The appearance of parental figures on campus usually calls for a nicer dinner out than a student could afford alone. When my own came to town last weekend, I decided to hit them up for Market Street West. I’d never been, but had heard rave reviews. They weren’t unfounded.One step inside and it became obvious that Market Street West is a far cry from family-oriented chain steak houses. The dim dining room is done in shades of maroon and mahogany, furnished with comfy chairs and linen-topped tables. The staff was courteous and efficient, and didn’t even frown at our blue jeans and t-shirts – although I’ll dress more smartly for my next trip.

We decided against appetizers, but the server still provided us with massive hot rolls and a vegetable tray with berry cream cheese sauce for dipping. Soon after, salads were delivered; several entrees require salad to be ordered a la carte at a cost of $4-$5, but those chosen by my party included either salad or an “accompaniment.” House and Caesar salads both proved excellent choices. A Beefsteak Tomato salad and Iceberg Wedge are also offered.

Three diners opted for the Choice Boneless Ribeye, eleven ounces of beef for $17.75. Steaks were juicy and tasty – the natural flavor of the meat wasn’t hidden under unnecessary sauces. The six-ounce Filet Mignon, at $17.50, was just as palatable. As one diner put it, “Cooked to perfection. A little pricey for the portion size, but excellent.” My steak was served with Au Gratin Potato Casserole, a large helping of rich, cheesy potato chunks that made me glad I had decided on a side rather than salad!

A friend’s Breast of Chicken Cordon Bleu ($16) was cooked perfectly and presented well in a baking dish, but was almost too laden with cheese. To quote him directly, “Cheese. Cheese on top of cheese. Then some chicken…its still good, though!”

Dishes less “meat dependent” were also excellent. The sauce on the Pasta Primavera ($14) was properly light and creamy. “The vegetables,” quoth the lucky recipient of this dish, “are crisp and fresh.”

The only true disappointment of the evening was the dessert. The CrŠme Brulee ($5) was a bit too runny, the crust a little too easy to crack. No other desserts were sampled; perhaps it was just a bad choice. At least the coffee was excellent, as Market Street West serves and sells their own blend.

Market Street West certainly isn’t the place to go when you’re down to pocket change. But if you can fork out the green (or get someone else to), you’ll be rewarded with top-notch food in a classy atmosphere. Keep it in mind for family visits and impressive dates.