Bowling: sparing Guilford boredom

Phil Lundeen rocks out on air guitar in an unfettered celebration of bowling, life, and waxed floors. Games start at 7:00 p.m. on Fridays. (Alice Sharp)

Ever find yourself at a loss for things to do on a Friday night? No good parties happening, nothing going on off campus, simply no fun to be had anywhere?Maybe you should look into the Bowling Club. Friday evenings find interested Guilford students at the AMF All-Star Lanes on Holden Road, knocking down pins and having a smashing good time. Practice generally gears up at 6:45 p.m., with the games beginning at 7:00.

“It’s not unusual to see between 50 and 60 people there,” said Jason Wynn, Bowling Club president. “We generally have a good turnout.”

The year has been a good one for the organization in terms of student interest and administrative backing.

According to next year’s president, Cindy Holloway, “Every year the Bowling Club receives a little more funding. We’re glad to get support from the administration as well as the students.”

The club’s members tend to be high-spirited and just a little wacky regarding the sport. Take, for example, some team names: Fecal Matter, Monkey Knifefight, Cowboy Bebop, and the Noshews-so named for team member Rob Adler, who bowls in his socks, unable to find bowling shoes big enough.

While teams do compete against each other and take their scores seriously, emphasis is less on rivalry and more on having a good time. “People amble in late, goof off.” Holloway said. “There’s really not a lot of competition. We just have a lot of fun!