News in brief

Dean’s Writing Awards Winners SelectedThe 2002 Dean’s Writing Awards winners have been named.

The Dean’s Award for First-Year Writing was given to Nat Heatwole for his essay “If You’re Not Your Own Person, Whose Person Are You?” The piece, written for Jeryl Prescott’s English 102 course, was judged the superior entry by the Academic Skills Center.

According to Heatwole, “The essay is a hypothetical high school graduation speech. The basic idea is that life after high school is very different. Peer pressure becomes more societal; it becomes possible to become ‘society’s person’ instead of your own.”

Junior Elizabeth Baltaro won the Dean’s Award for Scholarly/Critical Writing for her piece “My Responsible Self?” The essay, written for Mel Keiser’s Contemporary Theology course, is based on the work of theologian H. Richard Niebuhr.

“I realized that it was a strong paper but never expected the award,” Baltaro said. “It was definitely a pleasant surprise.”

Carole Sumner won the Dean’s Award for Narrative/Reflective Writing and Samara Richter won the Betty Place Prize in Poetry.

Katy Wurster Wins Dubba Hughes Lucas Award

Katy Wurster, forum editor of The Guilfordian, received the Dubba Hughes Lucas Award on Mon., March 25. The $250 cash award is presented annually to one Guilfordian staff member who makes the most outstanding writing contribution to the newspaper that school year.

Adam Lucas, former editor-in-chief of The Guilfordian, established the award in 2000 in his step-mother’s name. Past winners include Peter Morscheck and Daniel Fleishman.

Wurster has been a member of the newspaper staff for three semesters. She began work as a staff writer in fall 2000. She studied in Brunnenburg the following spring, returning to serve as news editor during the 2001 fall semester. She graduates from Guilford in May.

Tatum Chosen as 2002-03 Guilfordian Editor-in-Chief

James Tatum has been selected to serve as editor-in-chief of The Guilfordian for the 2002-2003 academic year. The publications board announced their decision last Tues. Tatum will succeed current editor-in-chief Alison Goss.

Tatum, a rising senior, has five semesters of experience with The Guilfordian. After working as a staff writer in fall 1999 and spring 2000, he returned from studying in London to become sports editor in spring 2001.

Last fall he edited the forum section before rising to his current position of managing editor.

Before beginning his tenure at Guilford, Tatum founded The Voice at his alma mater, the Washington Waldorf School in Bethesda, Md. He also held various positions at the Falls Church News Press for two years.

“I anticipate a very exciting year for The Guilfordian,” Tatum said. “The paper has had some very positive developments within the past few years, and I hope that the trend will continue.”

First-year Kat Allen was chosen as next year’s editor of The Quaker, and junior Ryan Taylor for The Piper.