Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

If you practice hard and your lead singer dies, you too can be inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ()

Long live rock.Last Monday night marked the seventeenth annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York, the event brought out some of the biggest names in the music business to honor and be honored.

The Ramones, arguably the “pioneers of punk,” was perhaps this year’s most noteworthy addition to the Hall of Fame; never before has the honor been extended to a punk band. Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder praised the artists in a seventeen-minute speech before Green Day reverently covered several of the band’s most memorable songs.

Bassist Dee Dee Ramone jokingly thanked himself for The Ramones’ contribution to rock. “I’d like to congratulate myself and thank myself,” Ramone quipped, “and give myself a big pat on the back. Thank you, Dee Dee, you’re wonderful.”

The lead singer of the group, the late Joey Ramone, was posthumously honored. Drummer Tommy Ramone noted that inclusion in the Hall of Fame was one of Joey’s last wishes discussed shortly before his death last April.

Another historic moment was the induction of The Talking Heads, the first New Wave band to join the Hall of Fame. The group reunited for the first time in eighteen years to perform, following an introduction by the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Anthony Kiedis.

Heads’ Drummer Chris Franz discounted rumors of strife between band members. “We haven’t played together for a really long time,” he said, “and I think we’re all very grateful to have a happy night like this and to have a good vibe.”

Other inductees this year included singer-songwriter Tom Petty, 1960s country sensation Brenda Lee, and deep voiced “Shaft” singer Isaac Hayes – known better to today’s generation as the voice of Chef on “Southpark.” Gene Pitney, crooner of the fifties best known for “Town Without Pity,” was honored as well. Country music sideman Chet Atkins was inducted posthumously. Finally, Stax Records founder Jim Stewart was honored in the non-performer category.

The Hall of Fame Foundation’s nominating committee chooses only artists in the music industry who have released their first record at least twenty-five years ago. The committee, composed of “rock and roll historians,” selects the nominees and puts them before one thousand rock experts worldwide to vote.

Unfortunately for those who missed it, VH1 has not announced any further broadcasts of their two-hour long special coverage of the ceremony. However, a great deal of information is posted at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s website: www.rockhall.com.