Beyond the scoreboard

James E. Tatum
Sports EditorAnd the Winner is …

The sports studies department honored four of its majors at the Spring Awards Convocation on Tuesday.

Eric Kaplan won for Outstanding Athletic Training Major, presented to an athletic training major who demonstrates academic achievement, a contribution to campus life, a contribution to the sports studies department and professional promise in the field of athletic training.

Marigny Johnson was named Outstanding Exercise and Sports Studies Major. This award recognizes an exercise and sports studies major who, surprise, has displayed academic achievement, contributed to campus life, contributed to the sports studies department and shown professional promise in exercise and sports Studies.

Jaime Ebersol picked up the award for Outstanding Physical Education Major. Ebersol was selected for, you guessed it, academic achievement, contribution to campus life, contribution to the sports studies department and professional promise in physical education.
Rounding out the list was Anglea Rioux, who won Outstanding Sports Management Major for being one of the few recipients of the day to actually show up and receive her award. Just kidding, she won for academic achievement, contribution to campus life, contribution to the sports studies department, and professional promise in sports management.

In case you are worried that we are picking on Angela, you should know that she is a regular contributor to The Guilfordian (including, gasp, the sports section), and is a multiple winner of the prestigious Guilfordian Mars Bar award for story-of-the-week. She also plays on the women’s soccer team, serves as a scorekeeper at basketball games, helps out in the Sports Information office, and somehow finds time to be a student, which, after all, is why she was named Outstanding Sports Management Major.