• 3/31 at 1:30 p.m. FREE PRESS Serendipity Edition in Hege Cox Print Shop

• 4/1 Quantitative Literacy Exam at 1 p.m. in King 123

• 3/28 Talk on reproductive justice by SisterSong organizer, Ash Williams in MRC (King Hall 127) at 7:30 p.m.

• 3/28 Digital Citation Management with Zotero at 3 p.m. in Experimental Classroom - Hege Library

Students stand in solidarity with protesters in Charlotte

Police form a barrier in front of protesters, including Guilford College students, on North College Road in Charlotte on Sept. 21. Courtesy of Holly Haid

Update: 9-22-16 at 10:35 p.m.

Protests continue tonight and will likely continue through the weekend.

A Guilford student protester was arrested last night at approximately 9 p.m., one of many protesters who were jailed. The student has now been released with the help of organizers, which posted the $500 bail.

The civilian who was shot during Wednesday night’s protest died after being hospitalized, the CMPD police chief told Fox News.

The City of Charlotte Twitter page (@CLTgov) has announced a curfew is in place until the end of the State of Emergency.

Guilford students continue to travel to Charlotte to join in the protests.

Yasmine Byungura ‘16, an alumna of the Early College at Guilford and current first-year at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, knows many people who are participating in the protests, including one friend who has been tear-gassed three times while protesting peacefully.

“I see that Guilford people are coming to Charlotte, a lot of people here in Charlotte recognize that and appreciate all the people who are coming from all over the state,” Byungura said. “It means a lot seeing people come to support us and spreading the cause, taking the principles that you’re learning and applying them to other cities.”

Update: 9-22-16 at 12:20am

Protests have died down for the night and many Guilford students plan to return to campus. Four students, seniors Najha Zigbi-Johnson, Davia Young, Eva Cosgrove and Colin Nollet were interviewed about their experience by New York Times journalist Megan Specia. The video can be found on the New York Times’ Live Video Facebook page here: New York Times Live Video

The official City of Charlotte Twitter account posted a corrected statement that the civilian who had been shot was not killed but suffered injuries and is currently hospitalized and in critical condition.

Earlier in the evening, Governor Pat McCrory declared a State of Emergency for Charlotte.

Update: 9-21-16 at 10:13 p.m.

Students have joined protests on North College Street in downtown Charlotte, where police have arrived with riot gear and are deploying tear gas against the protesters. Students, like many other protesters, are spreading information via social media.

According to senior Najha Zigbi-Johnson in a Facebook livestream, another protester has been shot, and it is unclear whether the wound was fatal. According to senior Eva Cosgrove, New York Times reporter Erica Berenstein was tear gassed.*

“This is what militarized police look like,” said Zigbi-Johnson on the livestream. “Looking at us like we are not human.”

According to Zigbi-Johnson, the protesters have been peaceful, and police have blocked sections of the protesters off from one another.

Guilford students at the protests are holding signs such as “White silence=violence” and “We live in a white supremacist police state.” Protesters are chanting “Hands up, don’t shoot,” “Black lives matter” and “No justice, no peace.”

Senior Colin Nollet, senior Dan Hitesman and senior Eva Cosgrove hold posters at the rally in downtown Charlotte on Sept. 21. Courtesy of Najha Zigbi-Johnson

Original post: 9-21-16 at 5:49 p.m.

Guilford College students traveled to Charlotte on Wednesday to join with protesters in the wake of the police killing of Keith Lamont Scott. Scott, a Black man, was shot in his car while waiting at a bus stop for his son.

Informal protests began last night as people gathered in the hundreds, and they became violent on both sides, with police using flash grenades, tear gas, batons, smoke bombs, mace and rubber bullets according to protesters and protesters throwing rocks, bricks and water bottles. Sixteen police officers and an unknown number of protesters were injured, including one protester who was shot and taken to the hospital, according to the Washington Post.

The protests are part of the Black Lives Matter movement, a reaction to the high proportion of police killings of black people in the past few years.

At least 10 students, along with multiple Guilford alumni and Greensboro community members, will be protesting. The official protest in Charlotte, which organizers say will be peaceful, is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016. Protesters are requesting water, camping and medical supplies, cameras and increased accurate media and social media coverage.

Seniors Holly Haid and Sadie Hunter said they don’t know what to expect, partly because of unclear information online.

“It’s really important to be an ally and be aware, particularly of where you’re getting your news and sources,” Haid said. “Even if you just look it up online, what comes up is riots and fires – it’s invoking this feeling of fear that is keeping people away.”

Protests are expected to continue. This page will be updated with new information as the situation develops.

*Correction: The original 10:13 p.m. post reported that Cosgrove said via Snapchat the New York Times reporter was pepper sprayed. However, Cosgrove later told The Guilfordian that the reporter was tear gassed.

People left flowers and messages near the site where Keith Lamont Scott was killed. Courtesy of Gabe Pollack

People left flowers and messages near the site where Keith Lamont Scott was killed. Courtesy of Gabe Pollak