Men’s rugby gets ready to tackle next year

“So it’s been quite a frustrating season to say the least,” said sophomore and Vice President of Guilford College rugby Spencer Powers. “But I’ve learned a lot, and we have some committed young guys, so I’m excited to see what the next couple years will bring.”

The men’s rugby team is underway, and they are working hard to build team bonds. Though the team does not have much size, they work well together as a sevens team.

“This season was one of the first for Guilford rugby to establish itself as a sevens team,” said team member Nick Carratu ‘15. “The core of our (15s) group graduated a year ago, and recruitment has been low.”

The group does not have enough size to compete as a 15s-size team this year, but the men put in full effort to stay strong even though their numbers are low.

The team practices multiple times a week and schedules games regularly.

“I would consider the few players we do have to be the most talented the rugby team has ever seen,” said Carratu. “Practices are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 6 to 8 p.m., and games usually happen every Saturday.”

So how does the minuscule team pair with the competition?

“Guilford rugby has yet to face an opponent that I would consider to be competition,” said Carratu.

The team has transitioned over the past year and much has changed. They have lost many team members and even their coach.

“The last couple years, we had our coach Dan Hayden showing up for practice,” said Powers. “But after last season, his shift switched from a night shift to a day shift, so he wasn’t able to come out for practice anymore, and we haven’t been able to find a coach as of late to help us out.”

This, along with rugby team president Eli Phillips going to study abroad in China and many members graduating this past year or stepping down, has caused significant difficulties for the team.

“Since then, our numbers dropped significantly,” said Powers. “And guys stopped showing up, so we decided to become a sevens squad due to the lack of numbers, which helped a little bit.

“Last semester, we played with a 15s squad with a good chunk of numbers.”

The changes have been difficult for the team, and adjusting is always a challenge, but the team is moving forward and doing well.

With new members and new positions for team members, the team will have to continue adapting in order to succeed in future games and seasons.

“As my first year as vice president, it was challenging, (which has resulted) in a very frustrating season,” said Powers. “We struggled with getting guys out and getting strong numbers for our various games.”

The team will continue playing, regardless of adversity, and pushing each other to do well on and off the field.

“The future goal of the rugby team is that we continue to be a club and also a positive contributor to the Guilford community,” said team member Byron Hamilton ‘15.