Women’s lax promises to surprise this season

“We have a growing team,” said first-year and goalie Sarah Sedaghat. “I think we can prove people wrong and prove on our ranking. We can build up that ladder with a lot of hard work.”

The Guilford College women’s lacrosse team is coming off a season that saw them go 12—7 overall and 8—2 in conference, falling just short of an Old Dominion Athletic Conference tournament title as runner-ups. The women, however, believe their preseason ranking of fifth in the ODAC this season should have been a little higher.

“I think we should be fourth, but it’s a good placement because we’re a young team,” said sophomore and midfielder Demming Carlow. “We have mostly freshmen so we have to figure out our skill level.”

Head coach Sarah Lamphier shares the same thought.

“It was one place lower than I expected,” said Lamphier, reigning ODAC coach of the year. “I’m okay with it, but I’m not too pleased about it.

“But I think it is a good place to be and it gives us that drive to push ourselves to prove that we are better than fifth.”

The team suffered some key losses this past year with senior players graduating, which may be the reason why they were ranked lower than presumed.

“I think it’s different this year because we lost a lot of leadership,” said junior and two-time First-Team All-ODAC defenseman Summer Fowler. “So the only way for us to improve is become more of a team and expect something from everybody instead of just one person.”

Fowler is one of many returning talented players on the lacrosse team. She scooped up 49 ground balls, won 25 draw controls and forced 19 turnovers last year as a member of the Quaker’s defense, although she will be redshirting this season after suffering an injury last month.

Another great asset is senior midfielder Eleanora Keene. She recorded 57 goals and seven assists and was second in the conference with 61 ground balls and 118 draw controls while forcing 25 turnovers. This led her to First-Team All-ODAC honors for the third straight season.

Keene believes the group’s dynamic is indeed different, but that it can actually be a good attribute this season.

“Half of our team are freshmen, and they’re all very talented,” said Keene. “I think it will be a more balanced team than last year.

“We’re working on being strong everywhere, attack, defense, groundballs, assist, goals, we’ve been known to be a driving team, and we’re working on some plays.”

The women have set goals to achieve by season end.

“Our goals are to win some games,” said Sedaghat. “Hopefully we’ll at least come out with a winning record. A major thing is that we have fun while we’re doing it.

“We want to make sure that we’re not just playing to win, but we’re also playing for the experience, to make ourselves better people.”

Being focused and driven are main aspects to becoming a good lacrosse player.

“What makes a good lacrosse player is attitude, being healthy and staying in shape, said Carlow. This includes working with the team and coming to practice with energy and intensity.” According to coach Lamphier, having the attitude to not give up and persistent hard work are the perfect match for this year’s lacrosse team.

“When I’m recruiting, I look for someone who’s going to first love Guilford, and really buy into the school,” said Lamphier. “I want people who are willing to be there, supporting one another, but also willing to work hard each and every day to get better.”

The Quakers were supposed to play against Greensboro College on Feb. 18 to start their 2015 season. The game was postponed due to icy conditions, so their first match will be against Mary Washington College on March 2.

“People definitely underestimate us because we lost a lot of people last year, so they’re not expecting great things from us,” said Keene. “But we will be ready and I think we’ll surprise ourselves and everyone.”