Men’s lacrosse looking strong in preseason

“I guarantee you, on record, that we’re going to make it to that tournament, and we’re going to make a run for the championship,” said senior defenseman Nick Huckins.

Men’s lacrosse ended last season with an overall record of 9–6 and a 3–6 conference record. However, due to one-goal defeats against four top Old Dominion Athletic Conference teams, they were unable to make it to the ODAC championships.

“We determined a mantra for the team this year would be ‘one goal,’” said Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach Tom Carmean. “What we’ve done this year is say, ‘let’s put a little extra effort into everything that we’re doing so we can overcome that one goal barrier.’

re. “Since (then), that’s been my motivation to work harder in the offseason and lifting during the season. If we had won one of those ODAC games, we could’ve made a run at an ODAC championship.

“I think this is the team that will bring back the ODAC championship. I think it all just comes down to taking it a game at a time and learning to do the little things right in a game. Then we’ll be successful.”

Fiore was named second team All-ODAC and was ranked first for goals, assists and points last season. However, Fiore is not the only conference stand-out in the team.

Rufus Terry ended last season with six markers, 39 captured ground balls and earning third team honors.

Senior Thomas Deane led the ODAC conference with a 59.8 save percentage, stopping 177 shots and also earned third team All-ODAC honors.

Senior defender Sam Cole emphasized that the team needed to play more aggressively this season.

“We don’t want to win by one goal, we want to come out and dominate,” said Cole. “We don’t want to be an easy game on anyone’s schedule. If anyone is going to beat us, they have to know it’s going to be a dogfight. We’re going to play hard and let them know that they can’t have anything for free.

“Also, this year is when we have the first recruiting class under Carmean, our first real recruiting class. Every player on this team was chosen by the coaching staff because they showed potential and mixed well with the team dynamic, and I think the senior class has been showing really strong leadership.”

So far this season, the team has won decisive victories against Catawba and Birmingham Southern, scoring 10–6 and 23–5, respectively. If you’d like to support the team, their next game is Saturday, Feb. 28 against St. Mary’s at home. Beyond that, the Quakers then face off against Catholic on Saturday, March 7, followed by Lynchburg, winner of the ODAC championship last season.

“If we had won those games, we would have been a playoff team as well as a ranked one. They’ve been working really hard in the offseason and our current preseason, so hopefully we can accomplish that this season.”

The team has taken this concept to heart and have the phrase “one goal” written on their practice jerseys as a reminder.

Huckins emphasized that the main concern for the team is keeping collected.

“I think the biggest challenge will be keeping everybody focused and keeping the intensity up towards the end of the season,” said Huckins. “Our goal is to win the ODAC tournament, which is ambitious, especially if you look at our old record.”

“During my first year, the mantra for the team was ‘it’s not easy,’” said junior attacker and team captain Adam Fiore. “Since (then), that’s been my motivation to work harder in the offseason and lifting during the season. If we had won one of those ODAC games, we could’ve made a run at an ODAC championship.

So far this season, the team has won decisive victories against Catawba and Birmingham Southern, scoring 10–6 and 23–5, respectively. If you’d like to support the team, their next game is Saturday, Feb. 28 against St. Mary’s at home. Beyond that, the Quakers then face off against Catholic on Saturday, March 7, followed by Lynchburg, winner of the ODAC championship last season.“I guarantee you, on record, that we’re going to make it to that tournament, and we’re going to make a run for the championship,” said senior defenseman Nick Huckins. Men’s lacrosse ended last season with an overall record of 9–6 and a 3–6 conference record. However, due to one-goal defeats against four top Old Dominion Athletic Conference teams, they were unable to make it to the ODAC championships. “We determined a mantra for the team this year would be ‘one goal,’” said Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach Tom Carmean. “What we’ve done this year is say, ‘let’s put a little extra effort into everything that we’re doing so we can overcome that one goal barrier.’ “If we had won those games, we would have been a playoff team as well as a ranked one. They’ve been working really hard in the offseason and our current preseason, so hopefully we can accomplish that this season.” The team has taken this concept to heart and have the phrase “one goal” written on their practice jerseys as a reminder. Huckins emphasized that the main concern for the team is keeping collected. “I think the biggest challenge will be keeping everybody focused and keeping the intensity up towards the end of the season,” said Huckins. “Our goal is to win the ODAC tournament, which is ambitious, especially if you look at our old record.” “During my first year, the mantra for the team was ‘it’s not easy,’” said junior attacker and team captain Adam Fiore. “Since (then), that’s been my motivation to work harder in the offseason and lifting during the season. If we had won one of those ODAC games, we could’ve made a run at an ODAC championship. “I think this is the team that will bring back the ODAC championship. I think it all just comes down to taking it a game at a time and learning to do the little things right in a game. Then we’ll be successful.” Fiore was named second team All-ODAC and was ranked first for goals, assists and points last season. However, Fiore is not the only conference stand-out in the team. Rufus Terry ended last season with six markers, 39 captured ground balls and earning third team honors. Senior Thomas Deane led the ODAC conference with a 59.8 save percentage, stopping 177 shots and also earned third team All-ODAC honors. Senior defender Sam Cole emphasized that the team needed to play more aggressively this season. “We don’t want to win by one goal, we want to come out and dominate,” said Cole. “We don’t want to be an easy game on anyone’s schedule. If anyone is going to beat us, they have to know it’s going to be a dogfight. We’re going to play hard and let them know that they can’t have anything for free. “Also, this year is when we have the first recruiting class under Carmean, our first real recruiting class. Every player on this team was chosen by the coaching staff because they showed potential and mixed well with the team dynamic, and I think the senior class has been showing really strong leadership.” So far this season, the team has won decisive victories against Catawba and Birmingham Southern, scoring 10–6 and 23–5, respectively. If you’d like to support the team, their next game is Saturday, Feb. 28 against St. Mary’s at home. Beyond that, the Quakers then face off against Catholic on Saturday, March 7, followed by Lynchburg, winner of the ODAC championship last season.