View from the trenches: Rebounding

A great football team has to be able to respond to adversity.

After suffering a disappointing 47–31 loss to Shenandoah University on Oct. 11, the Guilford College football team was struck with a new test this season: to get back on the path to greatness by grabbing victory over Bridgewater College.

We passed the test.

In the end we were victorious over Bridgewater 35–28, but not without getting tested from the kickoff to the final whistle.

To set the stage, entering the fourth quarter things were all tied up at 21–21.

We began the quarter with possession of the ball and got things started by driving down the field 72 yards and scoring a touchdown.

Leading 28–21, our stingy defense went out and forced a three and out.

With the ball back in our hands, the offense went on its longest drive of the season, a 16 play, eight-minute drive that ended in a smash-mouth rushing touchdown by running back Josh Schow from the goal line.

For an offensive lineman like me, there is nothing better than knowing you are not going to be denied getting your teammate into the end zone.

On that final drive, all five offensive linemen had that feeling, and it showed. We were in unison, blocking to protect and blocking to destroy.

Now up 35–21 in the dying embers of this firestorm of football, we believed we had done what was necessary to seal a victory.

Bridgewater received the ball with around four minutes left and was able to quickly score a touchdown.

With the score now 35–28, Bridgewater knew the only way to get the game tied up was to kick an onside kick, one of the most exciting and hectic plays in sports.

Their kicker was able to boot the ball 10 yards, and an unfortunate bounce led to a Bridgewater recovery.

Despite this, everyone on our sideline had confidence that our defense would make a fierce stand and stop our opponent.

Once again, our trust was well placed in our defensive teammates.

They made a stop on fourth and two, inside of the 5 yard line, and gave the ball back to our offense. We took two victory kneels and sealed the victory.

The team was ecstatic to rebound and get back to our winning ways. Both defense and offense rushed out to celebrate a victory on the field, embracing each other in a brotherhood that was strengthened through this tough contest against a valiant opponent.

We know that we need that type of effort each and every week for the next month to accomplish our goal of winning an ODAC Championship.