Quarterback Pawlowski drives team to early-season victories

Guilford College junior Matt Pawlowski is on track to become one of the greatest quarterbacks in school history.

“Matt Pawlowski is a very good quarterback on a fast path to greatness with every game he plays,” said associate head coach and defensive coordinator C.J. Goss of Methodist University after a 52 – 20 defeat at Appenzeller Field.

On Sept. 20, the Quaker football team advanced their season record to 3 – 0 with a comfortable victory over Southern Virginia University.

This year, Pawlowski has been extraordinary in the first three games. He has thrown 14 touchdown passes and is averaging 349 yards per game.

Pawlowski first played organized football in third grade. Ironically, it all began in a flag football league run by Guilford College.

Back in his high school days at Northwest Guilford, the Greensboro native found himself in an abyss of college recruitment. Along with the most talented quarterbacks of his caliber, Pawlowski had more than one school looking for his commitment to play college football.

“It basically came down to Guilford, Methodist, Emory and Henry,” said Pawlowski.

“I was raised in Greensboro and I knew it would be easier for my Mom and Dad to get to the games.”

His parents have been his biggest influences. They try to make it to every game.

On Sundays, Pawlowski likes to go home and spend the day watching football with his mom.

In an email interview with The Guilfordian, Matt’s mother, Kim Pawlowski, commented on the importance of her son’s football career for their family.

“The fact that Matt has been able to play for so long is just a joy,” said Kim.

“He’s made some great friends along the way and has learned many valuable life lessons from the hard work and sacrifice it takes to play the sport.”

This year the offense is really clicking.

The duo of Pawlowski and junior wide receiver Adam Smith has become a dominant tandem.

Those who attend a game will hear these two names quite often from the public address announcer.

“Adam Smith is a guy I like to throw to,” said Pawlowski.

“Pretty much every time he touches the ball, it’s a touchdown. It’s nice to have him.”

Head football coach Chris Rusiewicz also commented on the dynamic duo.

“Adam was a high school quarterback like Matt. With that said, Adam understands Matt’s position on the field and their trust for one another is awesome,” said Rusiewicz.

It is clear that the quarterback has grown as a player since he arrived at Guilford.

Pawlowski came to Guilford two years ago in the fall of 2012 with profound weight on his shoulders. All eyes were on the starting first-year quarterback.

“When he came in, he was a shy kid,” said senior defensive back Satiir Stevenson. “He didn’t speak too much, but he always worked hard, and I could see potential in him to lead.”

Pawlowski expressed how much it matters to him to be a leader.

“It means a lot to be a positive influence for younger players to look up to,” said Pawlowski.

The Quakers are off to a perfect start and have no intention of letting up. They will be content with nothing less than a conference championship.

“I think we are more experienced,” said Stevenson. “We have several leaders on both sides of the ball. When you have more leaders, you are going to have more people buy into the system.

“Everybody believes in each other, and everybody believes in what the coaches are telling us.”

Pawlowski bears the brunt of the leadership on the football team.

Testimony to Pawlowski’s leadership is the sentiment expressed by Stevenson.

The team has an environment of community and responsibility in keeping with the Quaker traditions Pawlowski first learned in the football camp run by Guilford College many years ago.