Filed under In Print, News

News NiBs

Deaf Women of Color Conference

Guilford College hosted the Deaf Women of Color conference on Saturday, April 7 and Sunday, April 8. Over the course of the weekend, the women at the conference took a Quaker history tour to the Underground Railroad tree, attended a talk about sex and sexuality and journaled about their experiences. According to the Deaf Women of Color website, the conference began in 2005 with four women at Gallaudet University, Leticia Arellano, Thuan Nguyen-Lakrik, Francisca Rangel and Laurene Simms. They felt as though there was little support for deaf women of color on the campus and began meeting regularly. On March 4, 2005, the first conference took place as a one-day workshop.

Spring Into Guilford

Over the course of Sunday, April 8 and Monday, April 9, approximately 500 high school students from all over the country came to Guilford College for Spring Into Guilford, a weekend long program in which high school students who have been accepted into Guilford can see the College. The students had the opportunity to go on tours, take classes and attend college events, such as the club fair on the lawn in front of Founders Hall and the Queer Poetry Night in The Greenleaf Coffee Co-op. Several students took part in this weekend by hosting students and organizing events.

31st Anual Witness for Peace Walk

On Tuesday, April 11, Witness for Peace hosted their 31st annual walk across North Carolina for peace and justice. Every year, the organization hosts this event over Holy Week. This year, they specifically focused on farmworker awareness and immigration. They began their walk through Greensboro in front of Founders Hall at 10:30 a.m. where Director of the North Carolina Immigrant Rights Program at American Friends Service Committee Lori Fernald Khamala led a teach-in about immigration and anti-immigration legislation. After, the group went to the atrium in the cafeteria for lunch, which was also open to the community.