News NiBs

Guilford College on Amazon Smile

Guilford College is now a charity on Amazon Smile and just in time for Cyber Monday. Nov. 28 marked the annual technological equivalent of Black Friday during which online stores across the country lower their prices the Monday after the Thanksgiving holiday. Guilford College partnered with Amazon Smile, an organization that works to donate a certain percentage of Amazon’s profits to the shopper’s chosen charity. Now, Guilford College can be selected as a charity on Amazon Smile, meaning a portion of the wealth Amazon receives will go to Guilford College every time a shopper selects Guilford as their charity.

Neil deGrasse Tyson tickets available

On Jan. 31, American astrophysicist and cosmologist Neil deGrasse Tyson will be speaking in the Greensboro Coliseum at the fourth Bryan Series event of the 2016-17 school year. On Nov. 29, tickets became available for students to register for the event in January. This is the second time deGrasse Tyson has come to Guilford. In October of 2000, deGrasse Tyson came to Guilford during the dedication of the Frank Family Science Center. His interests include exploding stars and star formations as well as dwarf galaxies and the Milky Way galaxy.

The War on Drugs: 45 Years Later

On Nov. 30, Students for Sensible Drug Policies held a panel in King Hall called “The War on Drugs: 45 Years Later” about how the war on drugs still impacts drug policies today. The panel featured Head of Public Safety William Anderson, junior Lizzie Ruprecht, Associate Professor of Justice & Policy Studies and Associate Academic Dean Barbara Lawrence and Part-time Lecturer of Peace & Conflict Studies Mary Hope. There was also a question and answer session with the panelists followed by a raffle which everyone who attended was entered into.

Mosaic Leadership Speaker Series

On Nov. 30, the Office of Student Leadership and Engagement and the Multicultural Education Department held an event as part of their Mosaic Leadership Speaker Series, featuring Lorenza Wyatt ’09 talking about how Guilford helped fine-tune his job search after graduation. While at Guilford, Wyatt was a photography major and an elementary education minor. He taught the fifth grade immediately after graduating from Guilford and currently works as a daycare provider. The event featured food and conversation. Past Mosaic Leadership Speaker Series guests include President of the Black Alumni Advisory Board Toiya Hancock and Managing General Partner of the Racial Equity Institute Deena Hayes-Greene.

WinterFest

On Dec. 1, the Office of Student Leadership and Engagement and the Campus Activities Board hosted WinterFest, an annual festival in Founders Hall featuring festive holiday music, food, hot chocolate and winter-themed bingo with prizes. The event was held from 7-10 p.m. and is the first of two holiday events in December. The next event, a showing of the Will Farrell movie “Elf,” will be held on Dec. 4 at 8 p.m. in Joseph M. Bryan Jr. Auditorium. There will also be a raffle event.

Looking ahead… Festival of Lights Celebration

On Dec. 2, the Festival of Lights will take place in downtown Greensboro at City Center Park. This year’s festival will feature live music performances with Abigail Dowd, Bruce Piephoff, Clay Howard, the Greensboro Tarheel Chorus and others. There will also be photo booths and holiday crafts. By the end of the night, there will be a community tree lighting. There will also be an opportunity to shop with the merchants downtown. Other upcoming events include the Greensboro Holiday Parade on Dec. 3, and the HAND-to-HAND Holiday Market on Dec. 4, both of which are also happening downtown. Volunteers can register at festivaloflightsgso.com.