Annual security reports for past three years available to public

Public Safety has recently released reports covering campus crime for the past three years.

Such reports are required due to the Jeanne Cleary Act, which mandates that collegiate institutions publish statistics for different categories of crimes. Along with the Office for Campus Life, Public Safety has compiled statistics of offenses committed on and around campus in the past three years.

“Just about every school in the country is required to compile this type of report,” said Jennifer Agor, interim vice president for student affairs and dean of students. “We work hard to get this report in compliance with what the government asks.”

Due to recent allegations, the first statistic a Guilford College student may look to is the number of sexual assaults that have been noted on campus.

According to the report, there have been three forcible sexual assaults reported since 2011. There has also been one report of non-forcible sexual assaults in a residential building in 2013.

This low number of cases may come as a surprise to those aware of the fact that Guilford’s sexual assaults procedures are currently under review by the Office of Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education.

“Our report breaks down sexual assault into two categories,“ said Ron Stowe, director of public safety. “We are restricted in what we can count into the categories by the definitions that we are provided by the government.”

The school released a statement this past May saying: “The (Office for Civil Rights) activity at Guilford follows a complaint filed by a former female student who was dissatisfied with the sanctions levied against a male student in response to her complaint.”

The investigation stems from one particular incident, not the total number of incidents.

In comparison, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has reported 47 total sexual assaults in the past three years, according to their annual security report. The school is being investigated for the handling of five of those incidents.

Another particular statistic that stands out in the report is the amount of burglaries that have been reported in Guilford over the past three academic years.

Since 2011, 33 total burglaries have been recorded on campus. All but one of these burglaries occurred in a residential building.

“I believe that the number of burglaries on campus have increased due to students’ lack of keeping personal items safe within their own dorms and living space,” said sophomore and former Milner Hall resident Austin Seibert. “Although I have had nothing stolen from me, I saw that students would keep their freshman dorms unlocked last year, and next thing they knew something had gone missing.”

The amount of burglaries has increased since the first reported year. The 16 burglaries reported in 2013 is over twice the amount reported in 2011, which was seven.

A more positive statistic reported is the number of violations that occur with substance abuse, including both drugs and alcohol.

This past year saw a drop in the total number of alcohol law violations as well as drug law violations. Both categories decreased from 2012 to 2013 by 43 and 30 alcohol and drug violations respectively.

“Our society is more accepting of substance use, particularly at a liberal arts school such as Guilford,“ said sophomore Ben Winstead, regarding his thoughts on the decrease of alcohol and drug use being reported. “More and more people are becoming more lax on the rules and not enforcing them.”

The report’s main use is to inform students on different violations on campus, but it also provides students with different policies and procedures regarding emergency situations that could occur on campus.

“Despite what a student thinks, we do have a deep commitment to transparency, and we are obviously not trying to hide anything,” said Sandra Bowles, director of student judicial affairs. “We encourage students to ask questions, which is why we make this information available.”