College named in ‘Best 380 Colleges’ review

Small classes, close student-professor relationships and principles of equality and justice.

These are some factors that make Guilford College appealing to students and staff. But are there other things on campus that the College is not so proud of?

The Princeton Review included Guilford in their 2016 edition of “The Best 380 Colleges.” The College also ranked 11th on The Princeton Review’s best college radio stations list and was named in their “Guide to Green Colleges,” which covers schools that demonstrate a commitment to sustainability.

The Princeton Review’s college lists are designed to help prospective college students find their next academic home.

“We believe that the key question for prospective applicants and their parents is not ‘What school is best overall,’ but ‘What school is best for me?’” said Kristen O’Toole, editorial director at The Princeton Review, in an email interview with The Guilfordian.

“The aim of our annual ‘Best Colleges’ book, ranking lists and online profiles is to provide prospective students with resources to help them answer that question, using insight from the experts on life at each school – its students.”

On top of measuring academic rigor, The Princeton Review surveys college students to catch a glimpse of the student community.

Below, you will find quotes from The Princeton Review’s evaluation of Guilford in “The Best 380 Colleges,” which describes life at the College, along with comments from Vice President for Enrollment Management Arlene Cash and junior and Community Senate President and Molly Anne Marcotte.

Review: “Hippies and athletes cover the majority of the student body (as does ‘liberal’), and there are many ‘refreshingly weird individuals’ who’ve taken their time at Guilford as an opportunity to redefine themselves.”

Marcotte: “I would argue that the individuals at Guilford do not redefine themselves, but rather have the opportunity to experience an education in which they find their true purpose, whereas before, they never truly understood their calling or place in the world.”

Cash: “When people ask me, ‘What is the typical student at Guilford?’ I usually say not typical. So sure, maybe there are hippie-ish people here, but I would venture that they are not the typical hippies. And yes, we have athletes, but not your typical athletes.”

Review: “The level of engagement of the students is matched only by the school’s willingness to listen; student involvement is in everything from policy changes to food options.”

Marcotte: “We see that the administration listens to students, but I would argue that it is when students argue for large-scale policy changes and budget transparency that we see the least willingness to listen from the administration.”

Cash: “I have had many students come to my office to talk about campus policies with which they disagree, to get clarity on rumors they are hearing or to just share their opinions about world issues. I love that, and I don’t use that word loosely.”

Review: “There’s a lot of varying interests but some wires tend to be the same across the board, like being culturally aware, or fighting against the oppression of minorities.”

Marcotte: “There is a definite energy toward social justice on campus, but there also are plenty of apathetic students, which consequently leads to a small percentage of individuals being overtaxed and undercompensated for their social justice work, without engaging a more expansive body of students.”

Cash: “Part of just being here was this search for truth, this readiness to experience something different and see how it fits oneself.”

Review: “There is admittedly a lot of weed, but it’s totally fine if you aren’t into smoking or drinking.”

Marcotte: “There are inarguably spaces on campus for students who choose to not partake in substances, and there are plenty of fun social events happening every day of the week in which students may find community amongst other students.”

Cash: “I live in a residence hall. Sometimes in the winter I would just walk up and down the steps of Shore (Hall) to get my Fitbit steps in, and I have never had an I-smell-spot moment.”

Overall, it appears Guilford does not completely align with The Princeton Review’s evaluation, but it does offer insight into the unique student-activist environment. But, then again, the Guilford experience is not an easy one to capture, is it?