Doors open for ‘Heartbreak House’

Sword fights and scandal. Marriage and mischief. Hypnotism and heartbreak.

Get ready for the Guilford College Theatre Studies production of “Heartbreak House” at 8:00 p.m. on April 18–19 and 24–26. If you’re into drama, plot twists and a lot of laughs, “Heartbreak House” may be the perfect play for you.

“It’s about the crises that led to World War I and what intelligent, well-educated people didn’t do,” said Chair and Professor of Theatre Studies David Hammond.

In the hilarious mix between farce and tragedy, a privileged cast of characters lives their lives having affairs with each other’s spouses and tricking each other out of money. Sound familiar?

“‘Rumors’ was also about a privileged collection of people who think they can control their world, and manage to get away with it,” said Hammond. “It’s the same people in ‘Heartbreak House,’ just in different clothes.”

A major theme throughout the play is deception, especially by corrupt businessman Boss Mangan, played by senior Lucas Blanchard-Glueckert.

“I’m basically the villain,” said Blanchard-Glueckert. “David has had me doing plenty of ridiculous things.”

Even with its 100-year-old setting, “Heartbreak House” can still be connected to modern times, specifically through the character Mangan.

“He makes a living by bankrupting companies that he then buys back at reduced rates,” said Hammond. “We’ve all heard that in the past couple of years. It’s not just that we look at it nostalgically, but we see the problems of the 21st century that we know very well.”

Relationships, too, are an important theme of “Heartbreak House,” whether familial or romantic. Lady Ariadne Utterword, played by sophomore Nina Troy, is one example.

“She’s just come back after years of absence and everyone in the family pretends like they don’t know her because she ran off with some rich guy,” said Troy of her character.

Overall, the play is more about the people of the time than the war’s politics.

“It’s a reflection of what’s going on in society,” said stage manager and first-year Riva Fairhall. “Everyone has a role that they’re playing that represents something in society, and that’s what the focus has been about: not necessarily on the era, but on reflecting individual pieces in the history puzzle.”

Sadly, this is also a play in which we say goodbye to a lot of talented seniors.

“It’s great seeing that these seniors are going off to bigger and better things, but at the same time it’s sad,” said Bayles.

For Blanchard-Glueckert, the last play of his Guilford career is important to him.

“I want to get it done right,” said Blanchard-Glueckert.

Fortunately, the theater department won’t be hung out to dry.

“As people leave, new talent comes in every year,” said Bayles.

Until then, we say break a leg to the current cast and crew.

What are you waiting for? Buy your tickets now to see the Theatre Studies Department’s production of “Heartbreak House.”