Fall 2013 CAB live music series is just the beginning

On Sept. 13, a few students gathered and sat together in the Community Center Lounge. The lights sank and the stage glowed blue. Junior David Wheaton approached the stage, alto saxophone in hand, and with his first long and sultry note, the Fall 2013 Campus Activities Board Music and Live series began.

Over the course of the night, Wheaton, junior Ben Matlack and headliner Kyle Tallman shared their love of music with the intimate audience, from Wheaton’s alto saxophone instrumentals and Matlack’s improvised electric guitar noodling to singer-songwriter Tallman’s electric-acoustic originals and covers.

“I think our main goal, at least for me, is to give a diverse group of music to the students here, give them something to look forward to at the end of the week, and maybe just let them onto some artists that they probably didn’t know about before,” said junior and CAB Music and Live Chair Blake Brown.

Opening performer Wheaton played several songs, including covers of John Coltrane’s “Blue Train” and Roberta Flack’s “Killing Me Softly,” as well as original works such as “Rose” and “She’s That Girl.”

“It’s speaking to people without actually talking,” said Wheaton on being a musician. “You get to show your emotions, what you’re feeling and how your day’s going through what you’re playing.

“Music is kind of like math ­— it’s a universal language, everybody can relate to it, everybody can understand.”

Matlack, following Wheaton, echoed that sentiment. Using electronic beats arranged by Blue Roots Experiment bandmate Gray Hall, Matlack wove guitar riffs through a series of tracks, adapting to each new beat’s mood and style.

Come the close of Matlack’s set, the small audience pulled sofas and chairs up to the stage as the lights dimmed lower.

“If you can hear me outside on Guilford’s campus, and you’re walking around, and you’re trying to mack on a girl and it’s not working out, why don’t you come on into the Community Center?” said headliner Tallman from the stage. “We’re going to be going over dating advice and friendship.”

He began his set by gently playing the guitar and, over the chords, said, “My name is Kyle Tallman. I’m from Johnson City, Tennessee, and I’m going to be singing some songs for you tonight.”

The strumming swelled into his first song of the night, “Too Late.” Following, Tallman played an hour-long set featuring songs from his debut album, “Courage,” and from his newly released EP, “Coming Home.”

“There are things that you do in life because you have to do them,” said Tallman. “There are few times when you get to do stuff that you want to do, and it gives you life. Music is such an intimate thing, and when you get to share it with people, it’s kind of like saying, ‘Here I am.’”

Tallman’s performance was just the first of many events to come this academic year hosted by CAB Music and Live. On Sept. 21, they will be hosting “Funk by the Fountain.”

Pick up a Fall 2013 CAB/OSLE schedule for more dates and campus events.

Also, students interested in music should keep their eyes peeled for events featuring Wheaton or Matlack and the Blue Roots Experiment.

Also, consider sharing something of your own.

“When you’re a musician, you think you’re the odd man out, but there are tons of people just like you in school that journal, or write poetry or whatever it is,” said Tallman. “Explore your art. Explore your craft. Life’s a garden; dig it.”