The Vagina Monologues: you’re not alone

“Before I knew much of anything, I knew that I was defined by what was between my legs.”

Performed by sophomore Juliet Smith, Blueberry Hill by Christine House was one of many pieces in The Vagina Monologues.

Held annually across the country, The Vagina Monologues expresses female struggles and experiences with sex, love, rape and domestic abuse with an emphasis on violence against women.

“(The topics in The Vagina Monologues) are topics that a lot of people do not talk and feel uncomfortable talking about, and are sort of taboo,” said first-year performer Moira O’Neill. “Hopefully it can show people that it is okay to talk about.”

Creating discussion and connections are an important part of the play.

“(The performances) let me know that other women have gone through it and other women have felt the way I have felt,” said first-year Teresa Bedzigui. “It is such a big step to help people see that this is an issue … it is real life. People need to see life as it is and not sugarcoat it.”

Many are blind to these issues, however.

“A lot of people do not even realize that it is a problem,” Smith said. “Not only men. There are women in the world too who do not realize these things happen, because they have never been victimized in that way. It gives so many people the opportunity to learn and try to understand and realize that we all are just people.”

Talking is the first step toward progress.

“One of the most important things … is to talk and to get people talking,” said first-year and performer Risa Pine. “These are things that nobody wants to talk about, and that is a huge problem.”

Regardless of the title, the issues addressed in these monologues affect men as well.

“Even though it is talking about women and women’s issues, I think a lot of men face some issues as well, and indirectly it can help a guy out,” said senior and organizer Adam Watkins. “If he is the one causing these issues or if he is going through similar issues just on a different scale, it’s very important.”

“Men do not have that space to express themselves emotionally,” Watkins continued. “I’m trying to force myself to … become more open about my emotions, and I would love to see other men do that and not feel ashamed.”

Men and women, young and old, and audience and performers alike could associate the topics to their lives.

“So many people can relate, more than you know,” said sophomore and performer Juliette Terry. “I personally connected with every single monologue, and I was so thankful for this show.”

You are not alone.

“(These issues) are so prevalent in not only our society, but in world society, and it is something that a lot of people do not think that they can talk about because they are ashamed of it, or they are afraid of what might happen if they talk,” said Smith.

“These kind of shows tell people that it is okay to talk about, and you are not alone. We have all experienced something in our lives that hurt us, but it is okay.”

Donations were given to Leslie’s House, a women’s homeless shelter in Greensboro founded by Guilford College alumni.