Students see talent at Greenleaf for No More Deaths

As I frantically scampered into the Greenleaf to escape the chilly night, I was overwhelmed with the mouthwatering aroma of coffee and the peaceful sound of fingers strumming an acoustic guitar.

On Feb. 28, students showed off a wide range of talent during an open mike session at the Greenleaf. Students not only showcased their abilities but were also able to donate and support No Mas Muertes, also known as No More Deaths, a nonprofit organization.

Students sang songs, read poems and played instruments such as the saxophone, acoustic and bass guitar, a bongo drum and a ukulele.

Sophomore Isabel Ramirez and senior Heather Scott sang a cover song and an original piece during the event. They wrote their original song in just two weeks.

“Lately, Heather and I have been falling in love with playing music together, and we wanted to work on performing in front of others,” said Ramirez. “We had a lot of fun.”

Junior C.J. Green showed off his writing skills by writing several emotional and personal poems.

First-year Ben Evans played the acoustic guitar and sang “Better Together” by Jack Johnson.

“I’ve been playing since the sixth grade, so it was a lot of fun,” said Evans.

But talent wasn’t the only thing on student minds.

“I thought it went great,” said senior Hallie Dowling-Huppert. “It was really impressive. I attended No More Deaths two years ago, and it’s important I came out to support the cause.”

Several students will be traveling to the Arizona-Mexico border to volunteer for the organization No More Deaths during the duration of their spring break. This program aids migrants who are making the journey to cross the Mexican-American border in search of a better life and a promising future.

“The Greenleaf’s core mission involves social justice and being involved in work that we think is necessary,” said junior and Greenleaf member Lyes Benarbane. “Open mike was a great way to get the community together as well as raise money for No Mas Muertes.”

Volunteers will provide water aid, humanitarian aid and basic medical care to immigrants walking through the desert. Senior Allison Semmler traveled to Arizona last spring break and went back as a volunteer during the summer for two months. She is now organizing the trip this year.

“No More Deaths has a really good support system as far as making sure everyone was in a good place to do the work that was needed,” said Semmler. “If things were too tiring or overwhelming, they let you take the time that you needed before you went back to work.”

Students raised funds by reaching out to the local community and academic departments as well as clubs on campus such as Bonner and Study Abroad.

“The money we raise will go towards the $200 volunteer fee, flight tickets and gas for the car we need when we get down there,” said Semmler. “Being that this is a nonprofit organization, the volunteer fee will also go towards the daily cost of running the program as well as the volunteer’s food.”

Nearly $7,000 was collected from various sources. The open mike raised $40 but raised an ever greater sense of campus community.

“The turnout of people was better than what I expected,” said sophomore and Greenleaf member Sam Metzner. “It wasn’t all about the money but really bringing the community together.”