Art faculty exhibits talent

Walking into the main gallery of Hege Library, one is hit with a beautiful array of photographs, paintings, drawings, sculptures and ceramic pots and plates. Who created these masterpieces? None other than Guilford’s own art faculty, including Adele Wayman, Roy Nydorf, Mark Dixon, Charlie Tefft, Maia Dery, Kaitlyn Barlow, Nicki Deyton, Phil Haralam and Juie Rattley III.

The Art Faculty Biennial Exhibition shows the passion of our art faculty, put on display for anyone to view. The art department creates a sense of community by displaying their artwork, making this event a favorite for students and faculty alike.

Guilford does not lack in community viewings of art, complete with food on the side.  This exhibition in particular is one that all members of the Guilford community should view, not just for the artwork itself, but because it was our teachers and colleagues that created it.

“I chose to shoot the photographs I shot for a combination of reasons,” said Maia Dery, instructor of art and experiential learning. “Two of them (the sand pattern and the skull) are the sort of image I’m naturally drawn to make, because I am mesmerized by a kind of shot that is loosely described as ‘visible manifestations of invisible forces.’

“I can’t get enough of looking at the way things and creatures adapt, reshape, reform and revise in response to light, wind, water and other forces that are not visible in the image.”

Dery continued, “The prospect of trying something you might not be good at can be terrifying. This is true for students, but it is even more true for seasoned professionals who are used to being considered experts and to being very good at what they do.”

Now that the stick sculpture “Disorderly Conduct” is gone, what will be next for the art department?

“There will unlikely be any sculptures put up anytime soon,” said Terry Hammond, founding curator and director of the Guilford College Art Gallery. “The big rusty metal one outside the library was actually gone last semester, believe it or not, and we had it professionally restored and replaced on Jan. 17. We are hoping to have some type of event around that sculpture in the near future.”

Beyond “the big rusty metal one,” there are sculptures around campus that students and faculty may not have seen.

“There are many unique sculptures on buildings and around campus,” said Dery.
“You should all explore and find them. Exploring outside is something that we all do not do enough.”

The art department always has something happening on campus, and this semester is no exception.

“We are hopefully planning another Photo-Thon and also, we are trying to have a student art show outside of campus,” said senior photography student Nicole Lane, writer for the art blog, “Hand/Eye.” “Somewhere like The Green Bean on Elm Street, if we can.”

Other events that are happening this semester that are in the works are the Draw-A-Thon, senior theses, Art after Guilford, the Homegrown Film Festival and a panel discussion on April 4 for the biennial exhibition itself.

Looks like this semester at Guilford will not be one where art and creativity are limited.

[photomosaic nggid=89]