Guilford implements new marketing plan

“2011 is a really big year for us,” said Associate Vice President of Communications and Marketing Ty Buckner. Marking the beginning of a new Strategic Long Range Plan (SLRP) spanning from 2011 to 2016, this coming academic year means change.

About a year ago, alongside SLRP II, an integrated marketing plan was created that included plans for a Web redesign with help through the local MITRE agency and a new member of the Guilford community, Director of Marketing Communications Camilla Meek.

Both the use of the MITRE agency and the position of Director of Marketing Communications are new to Guilford.

“The MITRE agency, which has worked with many other schools, understands Guilford’s culture and provided the resources we needed,” said Jeff Favolise, assistant to the president for planning and management.

“(The purpose is) to help us define who we are and how we want to communicate that, particularly to prospective students and people who could support the college,” said Buckner.

“This has been a lengthy and careful process, involving students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the board, in identifying our strengths and differentiators,” said Favolise.

Both Meek and Buckner emphasized the importance of sharing Guilford’s stories and culture to prospective students and supporters of the school. This will help them feel connected with Guilford and have real understanding of what Guilford stands for, especially what differentiates it from other colleges.

“We want our message to reflect Guilford and SLRP II outcomes — our core values and integrity, liberal arts academic excellence, community, service and action, and students’ spiritual development to empower their passion,” said Favolise.

“When we do launch the new website, what appears on the homepage should be strategic, it should be authentic, it should be attractive, and it should be informational,” said Buckner.

“Now that Guilford is on solid financial footing, there are some resources going towards getting the word out about Guilford and that’s basically why I’m here,” said Meek.

Meek, who has spent the past five years working as Director of Electronic Communications in the Department of Education and Human Development at Vanderbilt University, said the college market is changing. It is becoming more competitive and, in turn, colleges are becoming more aggressive about getting their name out there.

“It used to be an interesting and maybe even desirable claim to say we were a best-kept secret,” said Buckner. “Now that’s a discouraging word, it needs to be out there.”

Recruitment of students and increasing support are the two main goals for the new marketing plan, Buckner said.

“The admission and CCE office have done tremendous things in their recruitment efforts,” said Buckner. “But in regard to the marketing of the college in general, this overarching effort has not existed before.”

Along with the website redesign, SLRP II focuses on Guilford’s reputation, so that when someone says Guilford, certain words and ideas will immediately pop into their head.

“The purpose is to define the unique qualities and attributes of Guilford College, so that it can be clearly and consistently communicated,” said Meek. “2011 is going to be about planning what’s next.”