Global warming ignites debate

This past summer, it seemed you could walk outside and crack an egg above the asphalt, watching it sizzle and fry before it hit the ground. Unfortunately, this fall is not shaping up to be much better.Over the last few months, record temperatures have been set in many different parts of the world. The summer’s heat waves cooked the Eastern United States, parts of Africa and Eastern Asia. Summer 2010 has even tied 1998 as the hottest year ever recorded.

So what could be causing such an increase in temperatures across the Earth? Many scientists are linking the rise in temperatures to global warming and the emissions of greenhouse gases. But too many people still will not acknowledge that global warming is really becoming an issue we need to worry about.

Even if it will not lead to the extinction of humanity in the next three decades, we are still doing irreparable damage to our atmosphere.

Given the current situation, these problems do not get nearly enough attention. More of us need to recognize that this is a serious issue and not just a scare tactic. Whether or not you believe in global warming, we all have to acknowledge that there are problems with our environment. Regardless of the Earth’s natural temperature fluctuations, we know that something is not right.

With the heat waves bringing low temperatures that now rival former average highs, ice caps melting, and seas levels rising at an alarming rate, we must recognize these notices as warnings. By letting these problems continue, there is no telling what weather may await us.

Unfortunately, legislation that would limit the emission of greenhouse gases is still years away and our country’s push for alternative energy sources has only brought us as far as an increased budget for new wind farms. We have made great progress looking to further the green movement over the last few years, but we cannot slow down now that we are on the right track.

As young adults we need to be certain that our actions positively affect the world we live in, because it is ours to inherit and pass on to the next generation. The Earth, as we know it, is heating up; we know this to be true. Whether you believe humans are at fault or not it is up to you, but even if we are not the cause of this warming cycle, we are initiating a larger one. The gases that we put out into the atmosphere will eventually cause it to break down.

Being aware of the fact that we are harming the environment and actually doing something about it are entirely different, which is why the sustainability effort and green initiatives here at Guilford are so important. They may not be the change we need to fix our planet next year, but they are one vital step in the right direction.

So for those of you that take whatever small measures you can to ensure a cooler tomorrow, thank you for caring enough to change your lives. To the many people still on the fence, unwilling to let possibility shift their decision, I remind you that the cost of environmental security may be great, but it is a price worth paying.