Alumni Art Exchange: Exhibitions and workshops connect artists past and present

“We’re all here because of the Guilford (connection),” said Associate Director for Alumni Relations & Alumni Engagement Karrie Manson in her opening remarks. “It crosses ages and departments, but we all know what it is.”On Feb. 20, over 20 art alumni returned to Guilford to present their work and speak about their creative journeys for the 4th Alumni Art Exchange. This event also represents a vital moment in art majors’ college careers when dozens of veteran artists’ resources and advice are at their disposal.

“I’m hoping to meet some ‘real artists’ working in the ‘real world,'” said senior Ada Stephens. “I want to experience their passion and success.”

Hege Professor of Art Adele Wayman specifically exhorted art majors to do so in her opening remarks Saturday morning.

“Listen to what (the artists) have to say, and network like crazy,” she said.

Isabelle Lutterodt ’97, the keynote speaker, gave a presentation in Bryan Jr. on her achievements after leaving Guilford, including personal photography projects. She has exhibited numerous works in Los Angeles exploring the city’s historical African American culture. Her most recent undertaking has been a photo series chronicling the major locales of Frederick Douglass’ life.

Lutterodt also addressed the artistic advantages of going abroad to cities like Mexico City, Dakar, and Buenos Aires, which have growing artist communities.

“(In art), you have to take risks, but be careful. Some risks aren’t worth it. So remember to keep surveying your surroundings,” Lutterodt said.

Later, Lutterodt joined Laurie Meehan-Elmer ’85 and Amy Parry ’98 in a discussion panel. They talked with students about creating graduate school portfolios, maintaining a Web site, and submitting work to art galleries.

“You have to keep in mind that galleries function to make money,” said Parry, a former curator of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Atlanta.

The message throughout the presentation was that an artist must make every effort to seem as professional as possible.

During lunch in the Gilmer Room, Assistant Professor of Art Kathryn Shields gave a presentation on the Fundred Dollar Bill Project, a nationwide effort by artist Mel Chin to remove lead from the soil in New Orleans. The project asks children nationwide to draw “Fundreds,” drawings on a dollar bill template, which will then be exchanged to Congress for an equal amount towards environmental efforts.

“Unlike purely political efforts, this project will have real-world results,” said Shields.

After lunch, artists held a workshop in Founders Gallery to demonstrate how to photograph two-dimensional works, ceramic pots, and sculptures to build images for a portfolio.

The demonstrations grew more diverse during afternoon workshops, as alumni divided up and demonstrated their techniques for welding, pottery, computer simulation, art therapy, and digital marketing. Concurrently, art thesis students received feedback from alumni on their work.

In the evening, there was a closing reception for The 4th Juried Alumni Art Exhibition in Hege Library. The exhibition will be available through Feb. 28. The reception gave students, faculty, and alumni a chance to mix, socialize, and form invaluable connections for the future.

“(Coming back) is a great continuation of Guilford’s community,” said Lucinda Rowe ’09.

Indeed, few other occasions bring together as many professionals and novices as the Exchange, all drawn by a common Guilford connection.