‘Uncle Vanya: Scenes from Country Life’ debuts at Guilford

The stage is set. A warm backdrop glows shades of purple, red, and orange. The harsh Russian landscape consists of bundled trees garnished at each corner of the stage. Enter the music, defining the tone and heightening the senses while guiding the emotions and thoughts of audience and actors alike. Enter the players. Prepare yourself to be enchanted. The theatre department is once again flexing its artistic muscles for the newest on-stage production of “Uncle Vanya: Scenes from Country Life,” opening this Friday, Nov. 13, in Sternberger auditorium. Published exactly 110 years ago, this tragicomedy by Anton Chekhov explores the themes of a wasted life and impossible loves.

Adapted from another piece by Chekhov, “The Wood Demon,” the play draws upon the lives of a small group of complex figures that reside in the Russian countryside. Beneath the same roof, each character struggles to face the inevitable realities of life, and begin to question whether their lives have significance.

“It’s a realistic but abstract production,” said Professor of Theatre Studies and Director David Hammond. “‘Uncle Vanya’ is a comedy about games people play in times of uncertainty.”

Among the many underlying themes of this production are political, economic, and even environmental concerns. Largely due to these overarching issues and an abject outlook on life, the household remains in an almost constant lethargic state. The combinations of financial and personal complications that ensue construct a highly psychological and relevant piece.

“When I first read Chekhov I thought it was a classic dusty, old thing,” said senior and theatre studies major Ben Storey. “But as I spent more time studying it, I realized how relevant it can be to your own life. It’s about finding happiness and satisfaction in the here and now. Finding who you are and where you are.”

As represented in the play, periods of financial instability ensure that this quest for happiness in life is harder to come by.

Lines can easily be drawn between Chekhov’s play and the United States’ current economic woes and environmental concerns, which is one reason why this play was chosen to be performed through consensus by the theatre department.

“It’s relevant to see our problems reflected in persons in another country and from another time, because human behavior is universal,” said Hammond.

As the play unfolds these economic and personal obstacles serve as hurdles the characters must surmount to secure happiness in life.

“Identity is a major theme,” said Richard Rogers, a freshman theatre studies major who plays the titular role of Uncle Vanya. “Throughout the play, Vanya struggles to find meaning in his life. I think that everyone goes through that.”

While the title of the play is given to Uncle Vanya, the play itself does not manifest through a linear plot. Twists and turns arise, but the play does not surround a particular character; rather – as hinted in the title “Scenes from Country Life”- the play intertwines them all without a clear purpose. Each character seems to be a creature of habit, armed with their own tools to give their lives meaning, yet still missing the overarching happiness that each desires.

“Everyone wants to believe that they are making a difference,” said Allison Martin, a senior theatre studies major playing the role of Marina the maid. “It makes you realize that people try to avoid life in their own ways. Each character has this to a certain extent. People trick themselves into thinking that life means something more than it is. That life should be a fairy tale.”

While there is a definite element of soul-searching intrinsic to the play itself, viewers can also find themselves asking the same timeless questions about life, love, and happiness as the characters. Humans strive to make meaning out of their lives; the only difference seems to be in the method, not the goal.

“The play makes you reflect on your own life and your state of contentment,” said Mary Pearl Monnes, a senior theatre studies major playing Yelena. “Unhappiness comes from petty wrangling about what constitutes happiness. Enmity and jealousy lead to domestic disputes which suffocate those in the environment. All of this comes out of not being appreciative for what you have.”

So whether you are in need of guidance about life’s timeless questions or simply want to bear witness to a classic play performed and arranged by a wonderful cast and crew, “Uncle Vanya: Scenes from Country Life” is the perfect fit.

Performances will run from Nov.13-21. Tickets for students are one dollar.