Washington and Lee outlast Quakers

Coming off an Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) loss to Bridgewater College on Oct. 17, Guilford football looked to overcome another ODAC rival, Washington and Lee last Saturday. The Generals also came into the contest after losing a close game the previous week to 23rd-ranked Hampden Sydney, but overcame the Quakers in a slim-margin victory, 28-21.

The Quakers came into the game 1-5 overall and 0-2 in the ODAC, while the Generals were one game ahead of the Quakers with a 1-2 conference record, which made the game pivotal for conference standings.

“We knew it would be a close game; we beat them last year,” said sophomore defensive back Kenneth Hyman.

The Generals broke the seal of a scoreless first quarter when quarterback Charlie Westfall completed an 18-yard touchdown pass to Harrison Hudson.

The second quarter was a mirror image to the first, as the Quakers were held scoreless. Guilford’s defense shut down the Generals offense but a special teams’ fumble of a punt gave the Generals the ball back at the Quakers 19-yard line.

After three plays, Jonathan Clemo capped the Generals drive with a two-yard touchdown run. The Quakers’ offense responded with a 49-yard drive, but the Generals’ defensive stand against Justin Parker’s fourth-down run kept the Quakers off the scoreboard in the first half.

“We were getting adjusted to their game plan,” said sophomore defensive end Jordan Dutton.

At the half, Guilford outgained Washington and Lee 154 yards to 145. Washington and Lee won the field position battle – on an average drive, the Generals started on their own 39-yard line, 14 yards further than the Quakers. The Generals’ field position in the first half was credited to the Quakers’ three turnovers.

Despite losing the turnover battle in the first half, the Quakers were quick to reverse roles in the third quarter A Hyman interception in the 12th minute set a different tone for the Quakers in the second half. With a drive that started on the General’s 35-yard line, the Quaker’s used the short field to their advantage and capitalized as Billy Watkins punched in a two-yard rushing touchdown.

Going into the fourth quarter, the scoreboard showed 14-7 in favor of the Generals. The Quakers neutralized the score when senior Richie Paul’s second forced fumble of the season led to a 27-yard touchdown run by first-year Mike Williams.

The touchdown buzzed the bleachers in Armfield Athletic Center, as the Quaker fan base stood. But fans were quickly quieted when Generals’ John Kavanagh ran a kick return for 99 yards on the very next play for a score.

The back-and-forth battle of the second half continued, as it was the Quakers’ turn to score. With 6:38 left in the game, David LaPlaca returned a fumble 42 yards for a defensive touchdown for the Quakers. All three touchdowns were credited to the Quaker’s defense.

“I thought we had the game,” said junior Justin Parker when asked about the game-tying touchdown.

Again, the Generals answered on their following drive, once again, with a touchdown run. The Quakers got the ball back twice more, however, were unable to score.

“They had good field position,” Dutton said about the loss. “Another thing that plagued us was penalties.”

The Quakers had eight penalties in the game for 66 yards.

Despite a seven-point loss, the Quakers outgained the Generals 388 yards to 311 and had 18 first downs compared to the Generals’ 14. But the final score favored the Generals.

“We are a little downtrodden because we are doing everything right and aren’t winning,” said Parker.

The Quakers will try to take the sting out of the Yellow Jackets of Randolph Macon College at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday at Armfield Athletic Center.