Women’s rugby team attracts fresh faces from freshman class

(Rachael Travis)
(Rachael Travis)

They didn’t have matching socks. They didn’t have matching shorts. Some weren’t even wearing rugby shorts at all. But even without a flashy look, the Guilford women’s rugby team was ready to play as they took the field against the Wake Forest Deacon Demons on Sept. 26. “It depends on the individual,” said junior and team captain Elizabeth Schroeder of the mood on the team. “Some people prefer us to look official and others just want to have a good time.”

This attitude has attracted an astounding number of new players from this year’s first-year class.

“This semester we have a lot of newbies,” said junior Julia Cibulka, who has played on the team since her first year at Guilford. “In the past we’ve had seven show up to practice and 10 to play a game. We can actually substitute people now.”

The women’s team has been consistently getting 20 to 25 players to practices and games. This provides the team with depth at each position and, if needed, relief from the sidelines.

During the game, the women who weren’t playing could be heard cheering loudly for their teammates, even when Demon attacker broke through Guilford’s defensive line and ran over 60 meters for the score.

Missed tackles led to the Guilford women trailing 12-0 at the half, but the Quakers used their volume of players to substitute fresh players for tired ones. Wake Forest only had one extra player on the sideline.

The new Quaker players not only contribute to the competitiveness of the team, but they also raise the level of competition in practice.

“There’s so many people on our team for the first time. So if you don’t show up to practice and you don’t try, people will just take your spot,” said junior Brooks Shippen-How.

The women’s strategy proved to be effective in the second-half as they held Wake Forest to only one score. The Quakers matched the Deacon Demons through a maul, a technique in which multiple players join together to push one of their teammates over the try line to score.

“It was a really good job on all our parts,” Cibulka said about the second-half effort.

The women left the field with heads held high. Schroeder walked around giving positive feedback to the newer players, a tactic that teaches and keeps everyone coming back.

“Actually learning how to ruck and scrum is just so much fun,” said Claire McCarty, a first-year and first-time player. “Everyone’s willing to help and support each other.”

The veteran players have created a team atmosphere that has kept players engaged and has allowed players to have a good time.

“Everyone is really intense but really friendly,” said Maddie Holland, a first-year rugger.

“I think a lot of girls on the team just like to have fun with it,” said Schroeder. “A lot of the girls just think, ‘We’re Guilford, we’re here to have a good time and play some fun rugby.'”

The final score was 17-5 Wake Forest, but experienced rugby players and “newbies” alike came off the field smiling, having fought hard from start to finish.