Mary Hobbs Hall’s third floor remembered

The third floor of Mary Hobbs may not look like anything right now, but the story behind it, and the hall itself, is one of great importance to the Guilford College community.
A rumor, that many believe to be true, says that Mary Hobbs died as a young girl in a fire on the third floor, and that her ghost haunts the dormitory. After thorough research, this rumor proved to be false on all accounts.
Maybe it is, but not by Mary. Mary Hobbs died at the age of 78 in 1930 of bronchial pneumonia after living a long and fulfilling life. She never lived in the hall. In fact, she played a significant role in the creation of the hall and the values of education that she instilled live on today.
After seeing how difficult it was financially for women to receive an education, Mary Hobbs decided to create New Garden Hall, now known as Mary Hobbs Hall, for women needing financial assistance. In return, the girls participated in a co-operative living system, sharing cooking and cleaning chores.
In the 1940s, the third floor of Mary Hobbs was used as dormitory rooms for twelve students. Living on the third floor, which was limited to seniors, was considered a privilege.
On Nov. 29, 1976, the third floor of Mary Hobbs went up in flames. The tragedy was caused by a curtain set on fire by a curling iron.
Today, all that is left is an old charred sink and bathtub, and various burn marks on the floor and ceiling. By the sight of the attic, it is hard to imagine how anyone could have ever lived there. But at one time the third floor was home to many women at the college.
The staircases leading up to the attic were removed during a renovation of Mary Hobbs. Now, the only way to get into the attic is to climb a ladder through a small opening in the ceiling of the 2nd floor.
The fire is not the only thing that has significantly changed Mary Hobbs Hall. In 1997, the co-op system ended because the girls were not completing their chores, making the hall an unsanitary place to live. “While Mary Hobbs is still a great place to live, it is unfortunate that the original traditions of the residents who lived there are no longer in place.” said Gwen Erickson, associate librarian at Guilford College.
“I think it is sad that those traditions are lost, but it is part of the changing times,” said Ambyr Turner, a junior living in Mary Hobbs. “I wish we could still have the co-op system, but there are those who just wouldn’t do their chores.”
Although Mary Hobbs Hall and its traditions have drastically changed, many of the women on campus believe it is the best place to live.
“I love living in Mary Hobbs,” said sophomore Eliza Yeager. “The architecture of the building, with the hard wood floors and high ceilings, makes it feel more like a home than a dorm.