Mullen on brink of records, tears ACL

Kimberly Mullen (www.guilford.edu)
Kimberly Mullen (www.guilford.edu)

Before her injury, Kimberly Mullen was on a roll.
Last year, Mullen, a transfer student from the State University of New York at Oneonta, tied Guilford’s single-season records for goals (22), assists (11), and points (55) in her first year as a Quaker forward.
“It was pretty exciting. I was hoping to break it … but it was exciting just to tie it. I didn’t expect to come in and do that,” said Mullen.
She will not be able to duplicate that feat this year due to a torn ACL suffered against Eastern Mennonite on Saturday, leaving her 17 goals shy of the school record for career goals.
Mullen is eager to get back on the field.
Speaking with a pronounced New York accent, Mullen explains the role her parents had in motivating her. “I’ve always played soccer … but there were times when I didn’t enjoy it and my parents pushed me to do it. I’m glad they did because I’m happy here playing.”
Mullen enjoys the Guilford team for a number of reasons – coach Eric Lewis for one. “He’s pretty fair. I like him because he likes to win. He may not get everyone into the game, but it’s college now. He also does whatever he can for you. He’s like a friend.”
She also likes the closeness of the team, saying: “Whatever I go through, they go through – pre-season stuff, everything.”
Not just a soccer player, the junior is double-majoring in psychology and criminal justice. She’s not sure what she’s going to do after she graduates, but she sees coaching as a possibility.
“I’ve done some coaching. I did some UNC camps this summer. That was really exciting. I’d get so excited watching them play that I wouldn’t mind coaching.”
When asked what were some eye-opening differences between coaching and playing, Mullen said, “Sometimes the girls don’t listen to you. I think it’s harder trying to teach someone something that comes really easy to you. [It was hard because] they were new to each other, and I was trying to make them work together.”
Soccer has taught Mullen important lessons that she uses on and off the field, citing teamwork and the importance of putting forth 100 percent effort every time she’s on the field.
Mullen also enjoys taking in professional soccer. “I like to watch women’s soccer more than men’s. I watch the World Cup and the Olympics. They just ended women’s professional soccer so I can’t watch that anymore.”
The Woman’s United Soccer Association disbanded recently, citing lack of sponsorship revenue. The association received less than half of what they were expecting from corporate sponsors.
Mullen plays the game because she loves it, and because of the emotional high it brings, saying: “Being out there with my friends. The feeling – especially in the big games – when you’ve just scored a goal … It’s the best feeling in the world. I get goosebumps.”
You’ll get goosebumps too when you see the Quakers play this Saturday at home against Bridgewater, albeit without Mullen. The match begins at 11:00 a.m.
Sports Scores
Josie Black

Men’s Soccer (2-2)
Beat Warren Wilson 5-1, Sept. 15
SOG: Tim Imafidon-5, Greg Hinkle-1, Marcus Growers-1, Darriel Cannon-2, Steffen Schollaert-3, Bo White-1, 2 Ampofo Darko, Bojan Raic-1
G:Tim Imafidon-3, Darriel Cannon-1, Bojan Raic 1
A: Tim Imafidon-1
Saves: Zane Cambell-1

Women’s Soccer (3-5)
Lost 5-3 to Eastern Mennonite, Sept 20
SOG: Rachel Gwin-1, M. Barolet-Fogarty-1, Kimberly Mullen-2, Lori Layton-2, Jennifer Mundy-2
G: Kimberly Mullen-1, M. Barolet-Fogarty-1
A: A. VanZee-Phillips-1, M. Barolet-Fogarty-1
Saves: Danielle Brisotti-9

Lost 9-0 to North Carolina, Sept 17
SOG: Rachel Gwin-1, Heather Ruggiero-1, Kimberly Mullen-1,
Saves: Danielle Brisotti-6

Beat Dallas 1-0, Sept 13
SOG: A. VanZee-Phillips-1, Rachel Gwin-2, M. Barolet-Fogarty-1, Kimberly Mullen-4, Diane Newman-1, Trina Scurka-1
G: Kimberly Mullen-1
A: Jennifer Mundy-1
Saves: Danielle Brisotti

Beat Agnes Scott 3-1, Sept 12
SOG: A. VanZee-Phillips-2, Heather Ruggiero-1, Rachel Gwin-2, M. Barolet-Fogarty-6, Kimberly Mullen-5, Lori Layton-1, Emily Ott-2, Jennifer Mundy-2, Caryn Stone-1
G: M. Barolet-Fogarty-2, Kimberly Mullen-1

Golf
Guilford wins Johnny Palmer/ old North State Invitational Sept 16-17
Daniel Day won with atl, 145