Letter to the Editor

February 15, 2001
To the Guilford College Community:I would like to apologize to the Guilford College community for fabricating quotations in an article that appeared in The Guilfordian on Feb. 1 under the title “Perspectives on MLK Day.” This article contained fabricated quotations from two students, Zee Russell and Blair Taylor. Instead of interviewing these aforementioned students, I fabricated quotations about their opinions and experiences about Martin Luther King Day.

These fabrications of quotations were by my own choice and no member of The Guilfordian or any other persons encouraged me or helped me with my decision on this matter. I did not intend my actions to be malicious; however, now I fully realize the detrimental effects these actions have upon myself, The Guilfordian, and the Guilford College community. I am sorry for any damage that I have caused to the students and the college community. I recognize my mistakes and am being held by the judicial system of Guilford College for full responsibility for my actions. I recognize the problems that my actions have caused The Guilfordian and the general college community, in particular the African-American community on campus. I have learned from my mistakes and I again want to be a successful student and person at Guilford College. Again, I am very sorry that this incident occurred and I am taking total responsibility for my actions.

Sincerely,
Bradley Harrison Podair
Class of 2004