A Public Welcome from your Public Opinion Editor

Dear Faithful Readers:On the masthead of this publication, there is a listing for Public Opinion Editor with my name by it.

Now, I’m sure you’re quite curious to what exactly a Public Opinion Editor is and why I’m the one being paid the big bucks for this position. I’ll attempt to answer the first question and the second question will be answered with solicitations for large bags of small-unmarked bills addressed to me.

The Public Opinion Editor is a relatively new staff position for The Guilfordian, and essentially I have two main responsibilities. First of all I am the investigator of public criticism and complaints concerning the paper. My job description is similar to that of an ombudsmen, but don’t let that word scare you off. According to my very own personal copy of the dictionary, an ombudsman is, “one that investigates complaints, as from consumers, reports findings, and assists in achieving fair settlements.”

Essentially this means that if you have any criticism constructive or otherwise about the paper, that is not in the form of a letter to the editor, drop me a line at [email protected], call me at x3048 or send me a letter at Box 17619. Traditionally most people in my position are not affiliated with the publication that they take criticism for, but I’m breaking down tradition here as I am also a member of The Guilfordian’s editorial board.

Despite my affiliation with the paper, I urge you to contact me with your issues and I will listen to them and publish your concerns here. My column will appear once every two weeks.

My other role is to truly be an editor of public opinion by taking public surveys and writing forum pieces about topics as diverse as the revision of the drug and alcohol policy and Guilford students’ thoughts on the Middle East crisis. I also plan to assist the Online Editor of the paper in developing online surveys, polls, and discussion groups. Remember www.guilfordian.com (or www.collegepublisher.com/theguilfordian) should be on your home page; I know it’s on mine.

The Forum section, which includes the public opinion pages, is a well received and often-controversial section of the paper. I plan to keep up this tradition of making this truly a “must read” section of the paper.

My goal for the public opinion section this year is to incorporate a wide range of diverse student thoughts and opinions as well as a few misguided thoughts of my own. So check me out same place next week for hard-hitting controversy and opinions straight from your peers and maybe even you.

Sincerely,
The Opinionator